Meryl Streep’s Golden Globe Speech was Culturally Significant
The Golden Globes are an iconic night for Hollywood, in which the Hollywood Foreign Press Association acknowledges excellence work throughout the entertainment industry. It is a night of great magnitude as motion pictures, directors, actors, actresses, and others in the entertainment industry are recognized for their outstanding work.
While many award winners spoke about their feelings of gratefulness in regards to receiving such an honor, Meryl Streep’s speech stood apart from her colleagues.
Streep’s speech was politically motivated. She discussed when President-elect Donald Trump poked fun of a disabled reporter during his campaign, and highlighted the importance of the press.
Streep further discussed the importance of the First Amendment and the power of the press.
Her speech was compelling and culturally significant for the masses to hear.
For those in Hollywood and the press, her speech was a reminder of the great responsibility of being a watchdog for society. A reminder to continue to report wrongdoings, inform the public, and critique actions or individuals as need be.
Streep’s speech allowed the audience to think critically about the power that the entertainment industry holds.
The industry has the ability to create portals for audiences to see and feel different lifestyles, as well as make commentary about the society in which we live in.
Streep reminded the audience that even though the entertainment industry and the press are an art form, these industries have large functions and influences in our society.
Personally, I feel her speech was specifically significant for those outside the media and entertainment industry.
Her speech was given at a monumental time in which the public widely rejects the press. There is a huge divide between the public and media professionals stemming from fake news and a collective distrust of those in working in the field.
For example, examine how our President-elect treats and reacts to the press on a daily basis. Many would prefer to see media professionals be placed in a press pen, as Donald Trump deliberately did during his campaign, while society laughed and mocked.
However, Streep’s speech reminded everyone that the Founders of our country protected the rights of the press, in order for the press to protect and inform the people.
Her speech was a reminder for those who regard the press as an evil entity that the press actually seeks to tell the truth for the good of the public.
Streep could have used her airtime to address her lifetime achievements or thank her loved ones. Yet she chose to address our society’s politics and press, which is an important action and statement that should not go unacknowledged.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses