THIS WEEK IN NOCO SPORTS
The Bears managed to get their scoring touch back as they won two over Portland State and Sacramento State last week and now have a short rest before starting the Big Sky tournament.
It’s also worth mentioning that the Bears scored a 102 points and held the No.1 scoring offense in the Big Sky of Sacramento State to 74 points and a 36 percent shooting rate.
A few short weeks ago the Bears sat No. 1 in the conference but have slipped to third following back-to-back losses to North Dakota and Idaho State.
The Bears were bullied during the North Dakota matchups as their only weakness appears to be size but UNC’s ability to score from all positions has teams reeling for help.
The trio of Savannah Smith, Courtney Smith and Savannah Scott are clicking again just as they were when UNC went on a 11-game win streak. The trio all scored 20+ points against Sacramento State and Scott finished two assists shy of a triple-double as she scored 25 points and 12 rebounds.
The Bears will still have a bye and will play the winner of the Idaho State-Montana game.
Northern Colorado said good bye to senior Jont’e Dotson and did so with a 70-67 win over Sacramento State saturday afternoon at the Bank of Colorado Arena.
Led by junior guard D.J Miles the Bears managed to overcome a poor outing in the first half of the game and ended up shooting 17-of-28 in the final 20 minutes of the game.
Miles led UNC with 20 points including six straight free throws to seal the game in the final moments.
The Bears can now focus on the future and will have many decisions to make as red-shirt seniors Anthony Johnson and Tanner Morgan will return to the lineup in 2017.
For parts of this season the Bears have had to play with nine players as injuries have left Northern Colorado short-handed. Now head coach Jeff Linder will have the opposite problem as Johnson and Morgan look to be key-starters, leaving this seasons starters reaching for minutes. UNC will have to wait until next season to see how things pan out.
UNC can now move forward as they will serve their self-imposed penalty and sit out this seasons Big Sky Conference championships.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses