Roma Restaurant recognized for food, atmosphere-named best pizza
Roma has been serving up pizza for college kids since 1988. Samantha Valenzuela | The Mirror
Roma pizza has been a staple in Greeley for college students and community members since 1988.
Along with receiving the Best of UNC Pizza award again this year, Roma has been recognized by The Greeley Tribune for outstanding food as well as being a favorite hang out and chow spot near campus.
"The assortment of mixed drinks that come with it," said Dan Bear, a Roma manager and senior communication studies and recreation and tourism major, about what else makes Roma so great.
Roma sees between 1,800 and 2,000 costumers per week and strives to provide a friendly atmosphere with vintage concert posters, live sports on televisions and the recent addition of live music. The restaurant is considering hosting live music on Fridays and serving drinks after the last meals of the night have been served.
Roma offers 15 beers on tap, six types that are bottled, and with plenty of appetizers, salads, pasta, sandwiches, pizza and carolis to choose from, there is something even the pickiest eater will love.
The first use of the building that Roma calls home was a Catholic church. The next time you are in, take a peek at the "Church of Rock and Roll" poster above the bar.
Roma has been known for helping the community by hosting a wide variety of fundraisers which have helped a school in Haiti, Relay for Life at UNC, the recovery of Joplin, Mo., after the tornado in 2011, as well as many other endeavors.
"I like how college-oriented it is," said Cameron White, a Roma manager and senior biological sciences and secondary education major. "I like seeing familiar faces, friends and meeting college kids."
Roma's new deck, installed in front of the restaurant this past year, has created more seating and catered to customers that want to enjoy their food and drinks in the sunshine and fresh air.
The most popular items are the Buffalo Chicken Pizza and Bay Breeze Bazooka; when asked to name their favorite pizzas, staff members favored the Hot House (hot sausage, jalapenos, red onions, pepperoni, cream cheese, pineapple, mozzarella), Mama Mia (Genoa salami, sun dried tomatoes, feta, ricotta, roasted red peppers, garlic, mozzarella) and A Nutty Idea (Pepperoni, tomatoes, cream cheese, mozzarella, and cashews) were their favorites.
"I love seeing regulars and being able to see the close community of costumers and employees," said Paige Blasco, a manager who is between undergraduate and graduate school.
Roma will be gearing up for its 25th Anniversary celebration in 2013 where the community will come together and celebrate the good food and friendly staff that have kept costumers rolling in for so long.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Mirror News Articles
Recent The Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIRROR NEWS
- Northern Colorado student Amber "Billy" Chadderdon finds her path
- COLUMN: Stay young-and classy-Northern Colorado grads
- EDITORIAL: Take advantage of summer while you still can, undergraduates
- Northern Colorado student Steven Josephson combines art and news
- Northern Colorado Hazel E. Johnson award winner aspires to be Colorado educator
- University of Northern Colorado swimmer balances nursing program and...
- The triple-major athlete: Joe Carroll Q&A
RECENT THE MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care