Cans to return to Candelaria Hall
Since the 2006 Spring semester, the annual Cans to Candelaria food drive has enriched the community by collecting non-perishable food for donations. The event will return to campus Thursday, Sept. 30.
The food drive is set up by the public relations techniques class taught by Lee Anne Peck, a UNC journalism professor. This class is a capstone requirement for public relations students. This year's theme is Feed the Need because of the current issues with hunger and the struggling economy.
"We figured that with such rough times, economically, Feed the Need would be an appropriate slogan for this year's food drive," said Lindsey Mills, a senior journalism major and president of Bear PR and the Student Public Relations Network. "We could help out 10,000 families in one month because of this project."
The time to drop off canned food and cash will be from 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. in the L parking lot west of Candelaria Hall. The awards ceremony for the event will take place at 5 p.m. that evening. On Thursday, Sept. 22, there will be live music and a hotdog sale to promote the event.
Some acceptable and highly recommended donations include money, peanut butter, juices, pasta, and canned meats, vegetables or fruits. It is also important to check expiration dates as the Weld County Food Bank will not accept expired food.
"By keeping in touch with our generous sponsors and UNC students, we are hoping to generate 40,000 to 65,000 pounds of food," Mills said. "This is a high goal, and we have high expectations, but I think we will be able to do this."
Peck has been the primary organizer of the food drive since its inception.
"I was surprised that UNC did not have a campus-wide food drive when I started teaching here in 2003," Peck said. "I knew a lot of different groups on the UNC campus were doing their own mini-drives, and I thought it might be better to have one big food drive."
Peck also said every little bit can and will help the food bank and the community. For those interested in contributing, individuals can register online at www.unco.edu/canstocandelaria or drop off canned donations to any organization that is registered. The last date to register an organization for the drive is Friday, Sept. 24.
For more information about the Weld Food Bank, visit http://www.weldfoodbank.org/AboutWFB.html
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Pet homelessness continues to grow
- Walking along the blue wall
- Are there potentially dangerous gaps in the law for owning firearms?
- Chemistry teachers flock to UNC for conference
- UNC Study of Prehistoric Archaeological Sites Receives BLM Funding
- Why I'm afraid for the upcoming presidential election
- Jeff Linder brought on as UNC Men's Basketball Head Coach
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board