Cans to return to Candelaria Hall
Since the 2006 Spring semester, the annual Cans to Candelaria food drive has enriched the community by collecting non-perishable food for donations. The event will return to campus Thursday, Sept. 30.
The food drive is set up by the public relations techniques class taught by Lee Anne Peck, a UNC journalism professor. This class is a capstone requirement for public relations students. This year's theme is Feed the Need because of the current issues with hunger and the struggling economy.
"We figured that with such rough times, economically, Feed the Need would be an appropriate slogan for this year's food drive," said Lindsey Mills, a senior journalism major and president of Bear PR and the Student Public Relations Network. "We could help out 10,000 families in one month because of this project."
The time to drop off canned food and cash will be from 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. in the L parking lot west of Candelaria Hall. The awards ceremony for the event will take place at 5 p.m. that evening. On Thursday, Sept. 22, there will be live music and a hotdog sale to promote the event.
Some acceptable and highly recommended donations include money, peanut butter, juices, pasta, and canned meats, vegetables or fruits. It is also important to check expiration dates as the Weld County Food Bank will not accept expired food.
"By keeping in touch with our generous sponsors and UNC students, we are hoping to generate 40,000 to 65,000 pounds of food," Mills said. "This is a high goal, and we have high expectations, but I think we will be able to do this."
Peck has been the primary organizer of the food drive since its inception.
"I was surprised that UNC did not have a campus-wide food drive when I started teaching here in 2003," Peck said. "I knew a lot of different groups on the UNC campus were doing their own mini-drives, and I thought it might be better to have one big food drive."
Peck also said every little bit can and will help the food bank and the community. For those interested in contributing, individuals can register online at www.unco.edu/canstocandelaria or drop off canned donations to any organization that is registered. The last date to register an organization for the drive is Friday, Sept. 24.
For more information about the Weld Food Bank, visit http://www.weldfoodbank.org/AboutWFB.html
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities