Women's basketball splits roadtrip, defeats Grizzlies
The UNC women's basketball team needed overtime to defeat Montana Saturday, but the extra five minutes were well worth the result as the 56-54 win in Missoula, Mont., locked up a Big Sky Tournament spot for the second consecutive year.
The University of Northern Colorado (15-10, 7-5 Big Sky) got back-to-back 3-pointers to start the game from senior forward Kaisha Brown and junior forward Lauren Oosdyke, and the Bears never trailed after that.
The Bears led by as many as 16 in the first half following a Brown 3-pointer with 5:39 left. UNC, while shooting 42.9 percent from the field, held Montana to 25 percent shooting in the first 20 minutes and went into halftime leading 31-16.
The Grizzlies (14-11, 7-5) mounted a comeback in the second half behind 42 percent shooting and UNC shooting only 18.8 percent. With an 11-point lead with 8:39 left, the Bears were out-scored 18-8 the remainder of regulation, and the teams went into overtime tied at 52.
Sophomore guard D'shara Strange scored all four of UNC's points in the extra five minutes, and the Bears left Montana knowing they own one of the six spots in the conference tournament.
Strange led all players with 19 points and added nine rebounds, four steals and two assists while playing all 45 minutes. Oosdyke had a double-double for the second straight game, scoring 10 points and grabbing a career-high-tying 13 rebounds, while Brown scored 13 points.
Oosdyke's scoring total pushed her into 15th place on UNC's all-time scoring list with 1,012 points in her career.
The Bears' next game comes against the second place team in the Big Sky, Eastern Washington, at 7:05 p.m. Thursday at Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion. The Eagles (16-9, 10-2) have won six straight games, and their last loss was a 56-53 defeat at home to UNC.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Mirror News Articles
Recent The Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIRROR NEWS
- Northern Colorado student Amber "Billy" Chadderdon finds her path
- COLUMN: Stay young-and classy-Northern Colorado grads
- EDITORIAL: Take advantage of summer while you still can, undergraduates
- Northern Colorado student Steven Josephson combines art and news
- Northern Colorado Hazel E. Johnson award winner aspires to be Colorado educator
- University of Northern Colorado swimmer balances nursing program and...
- The triple-major athlete: Joe Carroll Q&A
RECENT THE MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care