Women's basketball splits roadtrip, defeats Grizzlies
The UNC women's basketball team needed overtime to defeat Montana Saturday, but the extra five minutes were well worth the result as the 56-54 win in Missoula, Mont., locked up a Big Sky Tournament spot for the second consecutive year.
The University of Northern Colorado (15-10, 7-5 Big Sky) got back-to-back 3-pointers to start the game from senior forward Kaisha Brown and junior forward Lauren Oosdyke, and the Bears never trailed after that.
The Bears led by as many as 16 in the first half following a Brown 3-pointer with 5:39 left. UNC, while shooting 42.9 percent from the field, held Montana to 25 percent shooting in the first 20 minutes and went into halftime leading 31-16.
The Grizzlies (14-11, 7-5) mounted a comeback in the second half behind 42 percent shooting and UNC shooting only 18.8 percent. With an 11-point lead with 8:39 left, the Bears were out-scored 18-8 the remainder of regulation, and the teams went into overtime tied at 52.
Sophomore guard D'shara Strange scored all four of UNC's points in the extra five minutes, and the Bears left Montana knowing they own one of the six spots in the conference tournament.
Strange led all players with 19 points and added nine rebounds, four steals and two assists while playing all 45 minutes. Oosdyke had a double-double for the second straight game, scoring 10 points and grabbing a career-high-tying 13 rebounds, while Brown scored 13 points.
Oosdyke's scoring total pushed her into 15th place on UNC's all-time scoring list with 1,012 points in her career.
The Bears' next game comes against the second place team in the Big Sky, Eastern Washington, at 7:05 p.m. Thursday at Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion. The Eagles (16-9, 10-2) have won six straight games, and their last loss was a 56-53 defeat at home to UNC.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program