Co-ed business fraternity promotes professionalism
Tony Molieri, a senior management and marketing major, speaks with prospective Alpha Kappa Psi members at the co-ed business fraternity’s informational meeting last Wednesday in Kepner Hall. Amanda Neiges
Hearing the word fraternity normally brings about thoughts of parties, booze and big, messy houses, but Alpha Kappa Psi members said they look to prove that not all fraternities are the partying type.
Alpha Kappa Psi is a co-ed business fraternity with a chapter at UNC open to all majors.
"We are the most eccentric group on campus," said Kristi Meyer, a senior marketing major. "It's amazing to me that we all get along and manage to come together as one and create these cool events."
Alpha Kappa Psi currently has about 20 members, but more may join with the upcoming rush week.
Today is the beginning of AKP's rush week, which includes games and a get-to-know-you night for the members and prospective members. On Tuesday and Thursday, there will be professional speakers. Wednesday is a day of community service in which AKP will volunteer with Greeley's Habitat for Humanity. Friday night, there will be a social at Old Chicago's.
"This is my first semester in a frat; I pledged last semester," said Nathan Jensen, a senior music composition major. "The pledge process itself really helps you with speaking and resumes."
Alpha Kappa Psi focuses on improving skills graduating college students need to succeed in the working world, such as resume writing and public-speaking skills
"Everybody's going into the business world," said Tony Molieri, a senior management and marketing major. "We all need to work."
There is one competing professional business fraternity on campus, Delta Sigma Pi. The difference between the two is that DSP is exclusively just for business and economics majors.
The members of AKP said they don't see DSP as competition, though, and that new members should check out both fraternities to choose the one they fit in with best.
Organizers said they hope being part of this fraternity will give students a leg up in the professional world. They said involvement teaches how to interview with and stand out to potential employers.
Many successful members of AKP include editor-in-chief Malcolm "Steve" Forbes of Forbes Magazine and two past presidents: Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon.
"It's a great way to network and make connections that you wouldn't have otherwise," Molieri said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Prose leaves much to be desired by poet
- Volleyball drops first two conference games
- University of Northern Colorado Student Senate funds costume run
- The real question: Who said life is fair?
- Marijuana Musings
- International students find a home at Northern Colorado
- Northern Colorado workshop offers students study tips
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections