Co-ed business fraternity promotes professionalism
Tony Molieri, a senior management and marketing major, speaks with prospective Alpha Kappa Psi members at the co-ed business fraternity’s informational meeting last Wednesday in Kepner Hall. Amanda Neiges
Hearing the word fraternity normally brings about thoughts of parties, booze and big, messy houses, but Alpha Kappa Psi members said they look to prove that not all fraternities are the partying type.
Alpha Kappa Psi is a co-ed business fraternity with a chapter at UNC open to all majors.
"We are the most eccentric group on campus," said Kristi Meyer, a senior marketing major. "It's amazing to me that we all get along and manage to come together as one and create these cool events."
Alpha Kappa Psi currently has about 20 members, but more may join with the upcoming rush week.
Today is the beginning of AKP's rush week, which includes games and a get-to-know-you night for the members and prospective members. On Tuesday and Thursday, there will be professional speakers. Wednesday is a day of community service in which AKP will volunteer with Greeley's Habitat for Humanity. Friday night, there will be a social at Old Chicago's.
"This is my first semester in a frat; I pledged last semester," said Nathan Jensen, a senior music composition major. "The pledge process itself really helps you with speaking and resumes."
Alpha Kappa Psi focuses on improving skills graduating college students need to succeed in the working world, such as resume writing and public-speaking skills
"Everybody's going into the business world," said Tony Molieri, a senior management and marketing major. "We all need to work."
There is one competing professional business fraternity on campus, Delta Sigma Pi. The difference between the two is that DSP is exclusively just for business and economics majors.
The members of AKP said they don't see DSP as competition, though, and that new members should check out both fraternities to choose the one they fit in with best.
Organizers said they hope being part of this fraternity will give students a leg up in the professional world. They said involvement teaches how to interview with and stand out to potential employers.
Many successful members of AKP include editor-in-chief Malcolm "Steve" Forbes of Forbes Magazine and two past presidents: Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon.
"It's a great way to network and make connections that you wouldn't have otherwise," Molieri said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- University of Northern Colorado lifts suspension on Mexican American Studies...
- What I’ll miss (or won’t miss) at UNC is...
- Kevin Kantor: Finding power in poetry
- Education changes University of Northern Colorado graduate's view of the world
- New destinations await University of Northern Colorado Asian studies major
- University of Northern Colorado's female graduates face unequal employment...
- UNC football player not done on the field
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards