Professors take 'Minute' to share
Professors from universities across the country, including UNC, are getting the chance to teach a much larger audience than that found in the average classroom through Northeast Public Radio's "The Academic Minute."
"The Academic Minute" is a program that airs on almost 60 radio stations across North America and features a two-minute spotlight highlighting a professor's research or area of interest. Topics so far have ranged from groundbreaking scientific research to more pop culture-derived topics, such as trying to explain the popularity of current TV shows.
Four University of Northern Colorado professors have participated in the program so far.
"Professors who participate in ‘The Academic Minute' are found throughout the United States, from large prestigious universities to small colleges with less than 1,000 students," said Steven Anderson, an earth sciences professor at UNC and director of the Math and Science Teaching Institute at UNC. "The topics cover the full spectrum of things professors at universities do with their time, from scientific research to the arts to business. If a professor studies it, it could be part of this program. I think over 100 different schools have had professors participate in this."
Other professors found that working on the radio show was a great experience.
"This program is supposed to help professors share their expertise and tell people what professors do," said Michael Mills, coordinator of Core and Integrated Learning, co-director of the Life of the Mind Program and a professor in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Mills wanted to record an Academic Minute radio show so he could inform more people about something of interest to him – semiotics.
"I'm a teacher at heart, so (I did it) to inform a larger audience about semiotics, which is the study of signs, for about a minute and 40 seconds."
This program not only helps audiences get a look at the academic world, but it also helps promote the university and the community.
"The university sees this program as a good opportunity to promote their professors' research and the university itself," said David Thomas, assistant professor of management and management instruction. "I worked on my discussion topic with professor Michael Kimball. He's the director of the Honors, Scholars and Leadership program. My discussion topic for the radio show is the role that organizations play in their communities is changing. I'm looking at how landlords who don't invest at all into their homes and how that affects everyone in a community. I'm discussing how some people are improving as an academic providing a place to promote learning, how people need to take social responsibility in how their community looks and how affective it is at helping the people within that community to strive for better things."
Michael Opitz, a professor of elementary education, discussed the link between literacy and fitness in youth during his presentation.
For more information about "The Academic Minute," or to find a local radio station broadcasting the program, visit www.wamc.org/academic-minute.html.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Words of wisdom from a departing senior
- The road unknown is one to expect
- University of Northern Colorado Grad Becca says “Learn for the sake of...
- Northern Colorado football player eyes future
- Artist leaves University of Northern Colorado with new perspective
- University of Northern Colorado's Career Services engaged in helping students
- University of Northern Colorado special education major accidentally finds...
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists