Professors take 'Minute' to share
Professors from universities across the country, including UNC, are getting the chance to teach a much larger audience than that found in the average classroom through Northeast Public Radio's "The Academic Minute."
"The Academic Minute" is a program that airs on almost 60 radio stations across North America and features a two-minute spotlight highlighting a professor's research or area of interest. Topics so far have ranged from groundbreaking scientific research to more pop culture-derived topics, such as trying to explain the popularity of current TV shows.
Four University of Northern Colorado professors have participated in the program so far.
"Professors who participate in ‘The Academic Minute' are found throughout the United States, from large prestigious universities to small colleges with less than 1,000 students," said Steven Anderson, an earth sciences professor at UNC and director of the Math and Science Teaching Institute at UNC. "The topics cover the full spectrum of things professors at universities do with their time, from scientific research to the arts to business. If a professor studies it, it could be part of this program. I think over 100 different schools have had professors participate in this."
Other professors found that working on the radio show was a great experience.
"This program is supposed to help professors share their expertise and tell people what professors do," said Michael Mills, coordinator of Core and Integrated Learning, co-director of the Life of the Mind Program and a professor in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Mills wanted to record an Academic Minute radio show so he could inform more people about something of interest to him – semiotics.
"I'm a teacher at heart, so (I did it) to inform a larger audience about semiotics, which is the study of signs, for about a minute and 40 seconds."
This program not only helps audiences get a look at the academic world, but it also helps promote the university and the community.
"The university sees this program as a good opportunity to promote their professors' research and the university itself," said David Thomas, assistant professor of management and management instruction. "I worked on my discussion topic with professor Michael Kimball. He's the director of the Honors, Scholars and Leadership program. My discussion topic for the radio show is the role that organizations play in their communities is changing. I'm looking at how landlords who don't invest at all into their homes and how that affects everyone in a community. I'm discussing how some people are improving as an academic providing a place to promote learning, how people need to take social responsibility in how their community looks and how affective it is at helping the people within that community to strive for better things."
Michael Opitz, a professor of elementary education, discussed the link between literacy and fitness in youth during his presentation.
For more information about "The Academic Minute," or to find a local radio station broadcasting the program, visit www.wamc.org/academic-minute.html.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- A Poem: Insert Your Name Here
- What will you tell your kids about sex?
- University of Northern Colorado hosts “Uranium Drive-In” which sheds...
- University of Northern Colorado students find hump day relief at local Bar...
- Northern Colorado tennis wraps up season at ITA Regionals
- Paranormal tips, tricks and sightings at the University of Northern Colorado
- Bears Madness previews Northern Colorado basketball season
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus