Jamaican bobsled team returns to Olympics
After a 12-year absence from the Winter Olympics, Jamaica will once again have a bobsled team in competition.
The road to Olympic glory can be tough-and pricey. The Jamaican team qualified for the Olympics but was unable to finance a trip to Sochi. That's when the Internet intervened.
Through various online fundraisers, including donations from users of Dogecoin, an online crypto-currency similar to Bitcoin, the team has surpassed its $80,000 goal by about $20,000.
The support the Jamaican team is receiving arguably has everything to do with where they come from, and the road that lead them to this Olympic Games to begin with.
In the 1993 film "Cool Runnings," Disney popularized the story of Jamaica's first bobsled team at the 1988 Games in Calgary.
The true story of a small, tropical island's team of sprinters working on a Winter sport is cinema-worthy on its own; who doesn't love a fish-out-of-water story, especially in sports?
However, some of the best feel good moments from the film were idealized versions of what actually transpired.
Spoiler alert: the scene at the end where the team members pick up their failed, rickety bobsled and carries it over the finish line on their shoulders didn't really happen.
Hollywood tugging at our collective heart strings aside, "Cool Runnings" put the Jamaican team permanently on the radar of sports and movie lovers everywhere.
Jamaica's bobsledding team returned to the Olympics in the 1992 Games, with poor results.
In 1994 in Norway, the Jamaican team earned a respectable 14th place, besting Russia by ten places and just beating out the U.S. Team.
After 1994, the team went quiet and the Winter Olympics went along without Jamaican persuasion for eight years.
In 2002, the Jamaicans returned to the Olympic scene in Park City Utah. The two-man team placed 28th.
Back on the Olympic scene, freshly-funded and hopefully ready to sled, the world is waiting to see how Jamaica's bobsled team does in Sochi.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- University of Northern Colorado hosts International Women's day conference
- Season Appreciation Something of the Past
- ‘To Whom Much is Given, Much is Expected’
- Up in smoke: Policy change impacts vapor shops in Northern Colorado
- Cyberbullies be warned
- Northern Colorado club sports offer students opportunities
- Northern Colorado swimming and diving takes third in WAC
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Do More With Less
- New Treatment for Undiagnosed Sports Injuries -- From...
- Beat the Crowds: Visit Europe During the Shoulder Seasons
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Entries Now Open for 7th Annual College Sports Media Awards
- Rescue your Spring Break with new app dubbed the "Uber of Roadside Assistance"
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending