Jamaican bobsled team returns to Olympics
After a 12-year absence from the Winter Olympics, Jamaica will once again have a bobsled team in competition.
The road to Olympic glory can be tough-and pricey. The Jamaican team qualified for the Olympics but was unable to finance a trip to Sochi. That's when the Internet intervened.
Through various online fundraisers, including donations from users of Dogecoin, an online crypto-currency similar to Bitcoin, the team has surpassed its $80,000 goal by about $20,000.
The support the Jamaican team is receiving arguably has everything to do with where they come from, and the road that lead them to this Olympic Games to begin with.
In the 1993 film "Cool Runnings," Disney popularized the story of Jamaica's first bobsled team at the 1988 Games in Calgary.
The true story of a small, tropical island's team of sprinters working on a Winter sport is cinema-worthy on its own; who doesn't love a fish-out-of-water story, especially in sports?
However, some of the best feel good moments from the film were idealized versions of what actually transpired.
Spoiler alert: the scene at the end where the team members pick up their failed, rickety bobsled and carries it over the finish line on their shoulders didn't really happen.
Hollywood tugging at our collective heart strings aside, "Cool Runnings" put the Jamaican team permanently on the radar of sports and movie lovers everywhere.
Jamaica's bobsledding team returned to the Olympics in the 1992 Games, with poor results.
In 1994 in Norway, the Jamaican team earned a respectable 14th place, besting Russia by ten places and just beating out the U.S. Team.
After 1994, the team went quiet and the Winter Olympics went along without Jamaican persuasion for eight years.
In 2002, the Jamaicans returned to the Olympic scene in Park City Utah. The two-man team placed 28th.
Back on the Olympic scene, freshly-funded and hopefully ready to sled, the world is waiting to see how Jamaica's bobsled team does in Sochi.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Pet homelessness continues to grow
- Walking along the blue wall
- Are there potentially dangerous gaps in the law for owning firearms?
- Chemistry teachers flock to UNC for conference
- UNC Study of Prehistoric Archaeological Sites Receives BLM Funding
- Why I'm afraid for the upcoming presidential election
- Jeff Linder brought on as UNC Men's Basketball Head Coach
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board