Jamaican bobsled team returns to Olympics
After a 12-year absence from the Winter Olympics, Jamaica will once again have a bobsled team in competition.
The road to Olympic glory can be tough-and pricey. The Jamaican team qualified for the Olympics but was unable to finance a trip to Sochi. That's when the Internet intervened.
Through various online fundraisers, including donations from users of Dogecoin, an online crypto-currency similar to Bitcoin, the team has surpassed its $80,000 goal by about $20,000.
The support the Jamaican team is receiving arguably has everything to do with where they come from, and the road that lead them to this Olympic Games to begin with.
In the 1993 film "Cool Runnings," Disney popularized the story of Jamaica's first bobsled team at the 1988 Games in Calgary.
The true story of a small, tropical island's team of sprinters working on a Winter sport is cinema-worthy on its own; who doesn't love a fish-out-of-water story, especially in sports?
However, some of the best feel good moments from the film were idealized versions of what actually transpired.
Spoiler alert: the scene at the end where the team members pick up their failed, rickety bobsled and carries it over the finish line on their shoulders didn't really happen.
Hollywood tugging at our collective heart strings aside, "Cool Runnings" put the Jamaican team permanently on the radar of sports and movie lovers everywhere.
Jamaica's bobsledding team returned to the Olympics in the 1992 Games, with poor results.
In 1994 in Norway, the Jamaican team earned a respectable 14th place, besting Russia by ten places and just beating out the U.S. Team.
After 1994, the team went quiet and the Winter Olympics went along without Jamaican persuasion for eight years.
In 2002, the Jamaicans returned to the Olympic scene in Park City Utah. The two-man team placed 28th.
Back on the Olympic scene, freshly-funded and hopefully ready to sled, the world is waiting to see how Jamaica's bobsled team does in Sochi.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Words of wisdom from a departing senior
- The road unknown is one to expect
- University of Northern Colorado Grad Becca says “Learn for the sake of...
- Northern Colorado football player eyes future
- Artist leaves University of Northern Colorado with new perspective
- University of Northern Colorado's Career Services engaged in helping students
- University of Northern Colorado special education major accidentally finds...
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists