Jamaican bobsled team returns to Olympics
After a 12-year absence from the Winter Olympics, Jamaica will once again have a bobsled team in competition.
The road to Olympic glory can be tough-and pricey. The Jamaican team qualified for the Olympics but was unable to finance a trip to Sochi. That's when the Internet intervened.
Through various online fundraisers, including donations from users of Dogecoin, an online crypto-currency similar to Bitcoin, the team has surpassed its $80,000 goal by about $20,000.
The support the Jamaican team is receiving arguably has everything to do with where they come from, and the road that lead them to this Olympic Games to begin with.
In the 1993 film "Cool Runnings," Disney popularized the story of Jamaica's first bobsled team at the 1988 Games in Calgary.
The true story of a small, tropical island's team of sprinters working on a Winter sport is cinema-worthy on its own; who doesn't love a fish-out-of-water story, especially in sports?
However, some of the best feel good moments from the film were idealized versions of what actually transpired.
Spoiler alert: the scene at the end where the team members pick up their failed, rickety bobsled and carries it over the finish line on their shoulders didn't really happen.
Hollywood tugging at our collective heart strings aside, "Cool Runnings" put the Jamaican team permanently on the radar of sports and movie lovers everywhere.
Jamaica's bobsledding team returned to the Olympics in the 1992 Games, with poor results.
In 1994 in Norway, the Jamaican team earned a respectable 14th place, besting Russia by ten places and just beating out the U.S. Team.
After 1994, the team went quiet and the Winter Olympics went along without Jamaican persuasion for eight years.
In 2002, the Jamaicans returned to the Olympic scene in Park City Utah. The two-man team placed 28th.
Back on the Olympic scene, freshly-funded and hopefully ready to sled, the world is waiting to see how Jamaica's bobsled team does in Sochi.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Prose leaves much to be desired by poet
- Volleyball drops first two conference games
- University of Northern Colorado Student Senate funds costume run
- The real question: Who said life is fair?
- Marijuana Musings
- International students find a home at Northern Colorado
- Northern Colorado workshop offers students study tips
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections