Jamaican bobsled team returns to Olympics
After a 12-year absence from the Winter Olympics, Jamaica will once again have a bobsled team in competition.
The road to Olympic glory can be tough-and pricey. The Jamaican team qualified for the Olympics but was unable to finance a trip to Sochi. That's when the Internet intervened.
Through various online fundraisers, including donations from users of Dogecoin, an online crypto-currency similar to Bitcoin, the team has surpassed its $80,000 goal by about $20,000.
The support the Jamaican team is receiving arguably has everything to do with where they come from, and the road that lead them to this Olympic Games to begin with.
In the 1993 film "Cool Runnings," Disney popularized the story of Jamaica's first bobsled team at the 1988 Games in Calgary.
The true story of a small, tropical island's team of sprinters working on a Winter sport is cinema-worthy on its own; who doesn't love a fish-out-of-water story, especially in sports?
However, some of the best feel good moments from the film were idealized versions of what actually transpired.
Spoiler alert: the scene at the end where the team members pick up their failed, rickety bobsled and carries it over the finish line on their shoulders didn't really happen.
Hollywood tugging at our collective heart strings aside, "Cool Runnings" put the Jamaican team permanently on the radar of sports and movie lovers everywhere.
Jamaica's bobsledding team returned to the Olympics in the 1992 Games, with poor results.
In 1994 in Norway, the Jamaican team earned a respectable 14th place, besting Russia by ten places and just beating out the U.S. Team.
After 1994, the team went quiet and the Winter Olympics went along without Jamaican persuasion for eight years.
In 2002, the Jamaicans returned to the Olympic scene in Park City Utah. The two-man team placed 28th.
Back on the Olympic scene, freshly-funded and hopefully ready to sled, the world is waiting to see how Jamaica's bobsled team does in Sochi.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- EDITORIAL: ‘Weed will burn down your house and sleep with your wife’
- Simplifying smoke slang: Weed Dictionary
- Weed Etiquette: How to cut in a smoke session and How to navigate a pipe store
- Along the hem of the Colorado border
- High times in Northern Colorado
- Weed ad restrictions flare conflict in Northern Colorado
- Weed Etiquette: The do's and don'ts
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!