Northern Colorado Open Mic nights going strong
From left. Freshmen Travis Rankin, Gabe Grimaldo and Mike Ham Jr. take the open stage.
Whether you're new to Open Mic Nights or a seasoned veteran, there is always something there to surprise you. Monday night was no different. The Fireside Lounge at the UC was filled with students: artists and musicians alike.
"I have been to about 41 of these, and they never get old," senior communication major Kacie Thomas said. "My favorite thing about these events is seeing all the support from the students."
Thomas is part of the University Program Council (UPC), which hosts open mic nights, but at this event she performed as well.
"I don't always perform, but tonight I'm going to sing a duet of 'How Deep is your Love' by Michael BublÃ© with my friend."
Performances are not limited to just vocals. Some incredible display of instrumental skill was seen throughout the night.
Joey Solano, a senior sports and exercise science major, is in a band called Hypnotic Vibes, and they performed three of their newest songs.
"I'm really hoping for our band to take off. This is the first time I've ever written songs, and I'm excited to share them with people," Solano said. "I like to play guitar and keys but being able to sing to is important, too, because a well rounded band is a better band."
Even if you forget to sign up for a slot, you can still get a slot on the spot. Some on-the-spot performances included full renditions of "Ice Ice Baby" and songs from the movie "Les MisÃ©rables." Almost nothing is off limits.
"I was honestly surprised at how well some song collaborations came out. That's my favorite thing about open mic nights, you never really know what to expect," junior psychology major Mitch
Staut said between
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Northern Colorado women's basketball unable to overcome first half struggles
- Northern Colorado men's basketball ends two game losing skid
- Art: Defining the undefinable
- Super Bowl Preview: NFL and media responsibility
- Super Bowl Preview: Battle for NFL's best secondary
- Helicopter parents' harmful hovering at Northern Colorado
- Super Bowl Preview: Clash of the old and the new
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor