Northern Colorado Open Mic nights going strong
From left. Freshmen Travis Rankin, Gabe Grimaldo and Mike Ham Jr. take the open stage.
Whether you're new to Open Mic Nights or a seasoned veteran, there is always something there to surprise you. Monday night was no different. The Fireside Lounge at the UC was filled with students: artists and musicians alike.
"I have been to about 41 of these, and they never get old," senior communication major Kacie Thomas said. "My favorite thing about these events is seeing all the support from the students."
Thomas is part of the University Program Council (UPC), which hosts open mic nights, but at this event she performed as well.
"I don't always perform, but tonight I'm going to sing a duet of 'How Deep is your Love' by Michael BublÃ© with my friend."
Performances are not limited to just vocals. Some incredible display of instrumental skill was seen throughout the night.
Joey Solano, a senior sports and exercise science major, is in a band called Hypnotic Vibes, and they performed three of their newest songs.
"I'm really hoping for our band to take off. This is the first time I've ever written songs, and I'm excited to share them with people," Solano said. "I like to play guitar and keys but being able to sing to is important, too, because a well rounded band is a better band."
Even if you forget to sign up for a slot, you can still get a slot on the spot. Some on-the-spot performances included full renditions of "Ice Ice Baby" and songs from the movie "Les MisÃ©rables." Almost nothing is off limits.
"I was honestly surprised at how well some song collaborations came out. That's my favorite thing about open mic nights, you never really know what to expect," junior psychology major Mitch
Staut said between
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- How not to financially fail during summer break
- How acceptance can end a cycle of prejudice
- Colorado overdue for a sports championship victory
- How to climb a Colorado mountain
- UNC Adds Brewing Lab Science Program
- Kamie Ethridge named court coach for USA Basketball
- University of Northern Colorado lifts suspension on Mexican American Studies...
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS