Northern Colorado Open Mic nights going strong
From left. Freshmen Travis Rankin, Gabe Grimaldo and Mike Ham Jr. take the open stage.
Whether you're new to Open Mic Nights or a seasoned veteran, there is always something there to surprise you. Monday night was no different. The Fireside Lounge at the UC was filled with students: artists and musicians alike.
"I have been to about 41 of these, and they never get old," senior communication major Kacie Thomas said. "My favorite thing about these events is seeing all the support from the students."
Thomas is part of the University Program Council (UPC), which hosts open mic nights, but at this event she performed as well.
"I don't always perform, but tonight I'm going to sing a duet of 'How Deep is your Love' by Michael BublÃ© with my friend."
Performances are not limited to just vocals. Some incredible display of instrumental skill was seen throughout the night.
Joey Solano, a senior sports and exercise science major, is in a band called Hypnotic Vibes, and they performed three of their newest songs.
"I'm really hoping for our band to take off. This is the first time I've ever written songs, and I'm excited to share them with people," Solano said. "I like to play guitar and keys but being able to sing to is important, too, because a well rounded band is a better band."
Even if you forget to sign up for a slot, you can still get a slot on the spot. Some on-the-spot performances included full renditions of "Ice Ice Baby" and songs from the movie "Les MisÃ©rables." Almost nothing is off limits.
"I was honestly surprised at how well some song collaborations came out. That's my favorite thing about open mic nights, you never really know what to expect," junior psychology major Mitch
Staut said between
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The UNC Mirror Student Newspaper News Articles
Recent The UNC Mirror Student Newspaper News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE UNC MIRROR STUDENT NEWSPAPER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE UNC MIRROR STUDENT NEWSPAPER NEWS
- Northern Colorado's most dysfunctional family takes the stage
- League of Women Voters sheds light on ballot issues
- Northern Colorado homecoming events rally spirits
- Moral codes: One size doesn’t fit all
- University of Northern Colorado offers students alternative spring break option
- Northern Colorado women's soccer ends standoff game with a loss
- Northern Colorado's student senate grants funds for jazz event
RECENT THE UNC MIRROR STUDENT NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus