Northern Colorado Open Mic nights going strong
From left. Freshmen Travis Rankin, Gabe Grimaldo and Mike Ham Jr. take the open stage.
Whether you're new to Open Mic Nights or a seasoned veteran, there is always something there to surprise you. Monday night was no different. The Fireside Lounge at the UC was filled with students: artists and musicians alike.
"I have been to about 41 of these, and they never get old," senior communication major Kacie Thomas said. "My favorite thing about these events is seeing all the support from the students."
Thomas is part of the University Program Council (UPC), which hosts open mic nights, but at this event she performed as well.
"I don't always perform, but tonight I'm going to sing a duet of 'How Deep is your Love' by Michael BublÃ© with my friend."
Performances are not limited to just vocals. Some incredible display of instrumental skill was seen throughout the night.
Joey Solano, a senior sports and exercise science major, is in a band called Hypnotic Vibes, and they performed three of their newest songs.
"I'm really hoping for our band to take off. This is the first time I've ever written songs, and I'm excited to share them with people," Solano said. "I like to play guitar and keys but being able to sing to is important, too, because a well rounded band is a better band."
Even if you forget to sign up for a slot, you can still get a slot on the spot. Some on-the-spot performances included full renditions of "Ice Ice Baby" and songs from the movie "Les MisÃ©rables." Almost nothing is off limits.
"I was honestly surprised at how well some song collaborations came out. That's my favorite thing about open mic nights, you never really know what to expect," junior psychology major Mitch
Staut said between
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Mirror News Articles
Recent The Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIRROR NEWS
- Northern Colorado student Amber "Billy" Chadderdon finds her path
- COLUMN: Stay young-and classy-Northern Colorado grads
- EDITORIAL: Take advantage of summer while you still can, undergraduates
- Northern Colorado student Steven Josephson combines art and news
- Northern Colorado Hazel E. Johnson award winner aspires to be Colorado educator
- University of Northern Colorado swimmer balances nursing program and...
- The triple-major athlete: Joe Carroll Q&A
RECENT THE MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care