Northern Colorado Open Mic nights going strong
From left. Freshmen Travis Rankin, Gabe Grimaldo and Mike Ham Jr. take the open stage.
Whether you're new to Open Mic Nights or a seasoned veteran, there is always something there to surprise you. Monday night was no different. The Fireside Lounge at the UC was filled with students: artists and musicians alike.
"I have been to about 41 of these, and they never get old," senior communication major Kacie Thomas said. "My favorite thing about these events is seeing all the support from the students."
Thomas is part of the University Program Council (UPC), which hosts open mic nights, but at this event she performed as well.
"I don't always perform, but tonight I'm going to sing a duet of 'How Deep is your Love' by Michael BublÃ© with my friend."
Performances are not limited to just vocals. Some incredible display of instrumental skill was seen throughout the night.
Joey Solano, a senior sports and exercise science major, is in a band called Hypnotic Vibes, and they performed three of their newest songs.
"I'm really hoping for our band to take off. This is the first time I've ever written songs, and I'm excited to share them with people," Solano said. "I like to play guitar and keys but being able to sing to is important, too, because a well rounded band is a better band."
Even if you forget to sign up for a slot, you can still get a slot on the spot. Some on-the-spot performances included full renditions of "Ice Ice Baby" and songs from the movie "Les MisÃ©rables." Almost nothing is off limits.
"I was honestly surprised at how well some song collaborations came out. That's my favorite thing about open mic nights, you never really know what to expect," junior psychology major Mitch
Staut said between
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Kamie Ethridge named court coach for USA Basketball
- University of Northern Colorado lifts suspension on Mexican American Studies...
- What I’ll miss (or won’t miss) at UNC is...
- Kevin Kantor: Finding power in poetry
- Education changes University of Northern Colorado graduate's view of the world
- New destinations await University of Northern Colorado Asian studies major
- University of Northern Colorado's female graduates face unequal employment...
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Key Ingredients for a Healthy Heart
- Spring Cleaning Made Easy to Help Tackle Inanimate Allergens
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards