Sorority ties teams for 'Amazing Race' to beat cancer
Brittany Herrington, a senior elementary education major with a multicultural studies emphasis, holds up a challenge for a scavenger hunt participants to pass to receive the next clue. Melanie Vasquez
While it may be hard to imagine living with cancer, members of Pi Lambda Chi at UNC did their best to help students understand the challenges and raise awareness through the Amazing Race for the Cure Thursday.
The Amazing Race-inspired event was a scavenger hunt across campus. Participants received clues and challenges at six locations, which could be on either Central or West Campus.
Jeri Salas, president of PLC and a junior social science secondary education major, said PLC wanted to show their participants what it would feel like if they had cancer and were worn out easily.
Other members of the University of Northern Colorado's Greek Life participated as well, including Lambda Theta Nu, Sigma Lambda Gamma, Nu Alpha Kappa and Sigma Lambda Beta.
The event began at the University Center where participants were put into four teams and given their first clues.
Teams were tied wrist to wrist with ribbons to make the scavenger hunt more difficult.
Before everyone left for the scavenger hunt, there was a presentation of statistics and facts about cancer, which were later used during the challenges.
"It was very good information and (it's) great how we can help others become aware," said Candellia Leon, a freshman dietetics major.
Leon said she was shocked by some of the data presented, including the number of people who are diagnosed with various forms of cancer.
If any of the participants were not able to answer a question at the checkpoints, they would either have to do a challenge or face some sort of punishment, such as jumping jacks, lunges, squats, sing the UNC Fight Song or dance to the Macarena or the YMCA.
PLC members said they thought it would be a good idea to team up with Relay for Life because in the past, the organization has helped PLC raise money, so they thought it would be nice to return the favor.
The first team to make it back to the Cesar Chavez Cultural Center won a dinner from the sorority. The winning team consisted of Joe Camacho, a junior criminal justice major, Sabrina Ruiz and Erick Chavez, both senior Mexican-American studies majors, and Joanna Chan.
Members of Greek Life said there were many reasons why they participated.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- A Poem: Insert Your Name Here
- What will you tell your kids about sex?
- University of Northern Colorado hosts “Uranium Drive-In” which sheds...
- University of Northern Colorado students find hump day relief at local Bar...
- Northern Colorado tennis wraps up season at ITA Regionals
- Paranormal tips, tricks and sightings at the University of Northern Colorado
- Bears Madness previews Northern Colorado basketball season
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR