Sorority ties teams for 'Amazing Race' to beat cancer
Brittany Herrington, a senior elementary education major with a multicultural studies emphasis, holds up a challenge for a scavenger hunt participants to pass to receive the next clue. Melanie Vasquez
While it may be hard to imagine living with cancer, members of Pi Lambda Chi at UNC did their best to help students understand the challenges and raise awareness through the Amazing Race for the Cure Thursday.
The Amazing Race-inspired event was a scavenger hunt across campus. Participants received clues and challenges at six locations, which could be on either Central or West Campus.
Jeri Salas, president of PLC and a junior social science secondary education major, said PLC wanted to show their participants what it would feel like if they had cancer and were worn out easily.
Other members of the University of Northern Colorado's Greek Life participated as well, including Lambda Theta Nu, Sigma Lambda Gamma, Nu Alpha Kappa and Sigma Lambda Beta.
The event began at the University Center where participants were put into four teams and given their first clues.
Teams were tied wrist to wrist with ribbons to make the scavenger hunt more difficult.
Before everyone left for the scavenger hunt, there was a presentation of statistics and facts about cancer, which were later used during the challenges.
"It was very good information and (it's) great how we can help others become aware," said Candellia Leon, a freshman dietetics major.
Leon said she was shocked by some of the data presented, including the number of people who are diagnosed with various forms of cancer.
If any of the participants were not able to answer a question at the checkpoints, they would either have to do a challenge or face some sort of punishment, such as jumping jacks, lunges, squats, sing the UNC Fight Song or dance to the Macarena or the YMCA.
PLC members said they thought it would be a good idea to team up with Relay for Life because in the past, the organization has helped PLC raise money, so they thought it would be nice to return the favor.
The first team to make it back to the Cesar Chavez Cultural Center won a dinner from the sorority. The winning team consisted of Joe Camacho, a junior criminal justice major, Sabrina Ruiz and Erick Chavez, both senior Mexican-American studies majors, and Joanna Chan.
Members of Greek Life said there were many reasons why they participated.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Words of wisdom from a departing senior
- The road unknown is one to expect
- University of Northern Colorado Grad Becca says “Learn for the sake of...
- Northern Colorado football player eyes future
- Artist leaves University of Northern Colorado with new perspective
- University of Northern Colorado's Career Services engaged in helping students
- University of Northern Colorado special education major accidentally finds...
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists