Northern Colorado softball goes 2-3 during Cyclone Invitational in Ames, Iowa
The UNC softball team went 2-3 during the Cyclone Invitational, which took place Friday through Sunday in Ames, Iowa.
The University of Northern Colorado (2-3) split games Friday and Saturday before a loss Sunday.
Throughout the five-game weekend, the Bears gave up only 10 walks and had 15 doubles.
On the final day of the tournament, UNC had a three-run sixth inning, but the Bears were still one run short against South Dakota State (1-4) in a 4-3 loss. The rally was sparked by a home run by senior outfielder Lindsey Smith, who led the team in home runs last season with 13.
Sophomore outfielder Ashleigh Waterland and senior designated player Jamie Pollak both scored in the sixth as well.
Saturday, the Bears began with a 4-0 victory against South Dakota State. The win was pitcher Kelci Cheney's (1-1) first shutout, and the sophomore had a career-high 10 strikeouts against only two walks in the game.
Sophomore center fielder Morgan Yuhas knocked in two runs during the win.
The second Saturday game had a different tune for UNC. The Bears were leading 5-1 against Indiana State heading into the final frame, but a seven-run inning by the Sycamores put the Bears three runs down in the bottom of the seventh.
Waterland hit a home run, driving in sophomore pitcher Mikayla Duffy (0-1) to bring the Bears within a run, but the team was unable to get another run across the plate to move the game into extra innings, with Duffy taking the loss.
Friday brought a split day for UNC, as the team started with a 3-2 nine-inning loss to Indiana State before defeating Indiana at Purdue Fort Wayne (2-2), 5-4.
The Bears began the Cyclone Invitational by adding extra frames against Indiana State. UNC was up 2-0 going into the bottom of the fifth when Indiana State tied it up.
Neither team scored another run until the bottom of the ninth, when the Sycamores had an RBI single to end the game. Junior UNC pitcher Megan Wilkinson was saddled with her first loss of the season.
The game against IPFW gave UNC its first win under head coach Shana Easley. Smith and Waterland were the big two at the plate, with two RBIs each.
The Bears will travel to Waco, Texas for the Miken Classic to compete against Texas A&M at Corpus Christi, Baylor and the University of the Pacific among other teams starting at 9 a.m. Friday against Texas A&M at Corpus Christi.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Words of wisdom from a departing senior
- The road unknown is one to expect
- University of Northern Colorado Grad Becca says “Learn for the sake of...
- Northern Colorado football player eyes future
- Artist leaves University of Northern Colorado with new perspective
- University of Northern Colorado's Career Services engaged in helping students
- University of Northern Colorado special education major accidentally finds...
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists