Northern Colorado men's basketball ends five-game losing streak, beating Portland State 67-50
Northern Colorado gaurd Tevin Svihovec defends Portland State gaurd Lateef McMullan during their basketball game on Thursday, January 17 at the Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion. Colleen Allison | The Mirror
Northern Colorado forward Derrick Barden puts up a lay up during the bear's game against Portland State on Thursday. Barden had 8 points and 9 rebounds during the game. Colleen Allison | The Mirror
The UNC men's basketball team broke its five-game losing streak against Portland State Thursday in a 67-50 victory at Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion. The University of Northern Colorado (3-11, 2-5 Big Sky) showed a dominate display of defense against Portland State (5-9, 3-4), something UNC head coach B.J. Hill said was an improvement for the struggling squad.
"Obviously we shot the ball well which got us off to a great start but I was more impress with the 40 minutes of defense that we played tonight," Hill said. "To give up 33 (shooting percentage) is a big step for these guys."
The Bears' suffocating defense was just one problem the Vikings faced. Another problem was the hot shooting stroke from UNC's best deep threat. For the third straight game, junior guard Tate Unruh showed why he holds the label of captain with another sparking performance as he made five 3-pointers and finished with 19 points, 3 assists and 4 rebounds.
"It's fun when you're shooting good," Unruh said. "My team has been helping me out by getting me the ball in the right place.
"We keep punching all night and we took it to them on both ends of the floor."
The only other player to hit double-digit points was junior guard Paul Garnica, who came off the bench and exploded with three 3-pointers in the first half and ended with 12 points, 2 steals and 2 assists. Garnica had only scored more than three points twice since entering conference. The Dec. 21 conference opener was the last game Garnica scored in double-digits when he had 14.
"It was definitely a must-win, with our backs against the wall," said Garnica, a junior point guard out of San Antonio. "It starts with practice, and in practice coach has been preaching about pressuring the ball a lot and between me, (sophomore guard) Tevin (Svihovec), (freshman guard) James (Davis) and (junior guard Xzaivier James), we try to get into each other's stuff as hard as we can, and I think it paid off. "
The Bears have one more home game before a two-game road swing against Northern Arizona (5-12, 2-5) and Sacramento State (8-7, 3-4) on Jan. 24 and 26, respectively.
The Bears host Eastern Washington (4-13, 2-5) at 7:05 p.m. Saturday at Butler Hancok Sports Pavilion. Eastern Washington has lost its past two games, and are 0-8 on the road so far this season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- The rules of the game are rules for life for Northern Colorado athletes
- Weed at Northern Colorado: Taboo or not?
- Holding it down at home
- Drunkorexia at Northern Colorado: Eating less to drink more
- Northern Colorado's most dysfunctional family takes the stage
- A Poem: Insert Your Name Here
- What will you tell your kids about sex?
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR