Northern Colorado women's basketball team beats Portland State on the road 67-42
After two tough losses in the state of Montana, the UNC women's basketball team went into Portland and defeated Portland State, 67-42, Thursday at the Peter W. Stott Center in Portland, Ore.
The University of Northern Colorado (7-8, 4-2 Big Sky) had yet to win a game on the road this season, and one big component to ending that streak was sophomore center Stephanie Lee, who came off the bench to score the game-high 17 points, going 8-for-11. Following Lee was junior guard D'shara Strange, who had 15 points.
The Bears shot 56.9 percent, which is the fourth best the team has done since moving to Division I, and that is also the highest percentage the team has achieved on the road since the move.
In her first start since the season-opener against Air Force, sophomore guard Lindsay Mallon tied with Strange for the team-high 10 rebounds. All of Strange's rebounds came defensively.
The Bears' defense was a big component to the win, holding Portland State University (8-8, 2-5) to a 26.2 shooting percentage, and the Vikings were unable to sink any 3-pointers with the 10 different attempts during the game. No one for Portland State was able to get double-digit points in the win, and had only 17 offensive rebounds, due to UNC's 37 on defense.
However, offensively the Bears only had six rebounds, while Portland State managed 18 defensive rebounds.
The Bears will return home for a two-game home stand, but first the team faces Eastern Washington (8-8, 4-30) at 3:05 p.m. Saturday on the Eagle's home court. Eastern Washington also won Thursday, beating North Dakota, 75-72.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Crowdfunding's Latest Effort: Preventing Youth Sports...
- El Regalo Ideal Para Cualquier Etapa De Tu Relación
- Seeing a Chiropractor First Can Save You Money
- Flu Season Has Arrived: Helpful Tips to Prevent the...
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?
- GlobalGiving and Athletic Tips Partner to Help Keep Young...
- Share Your Love This Valentine's Day
- From Bratty to Bearable, Global Nanny Jo Frost Tackles...
- Fibromyalgia: The Disease Whose Exact Cause Remains Unknown
- Beware Scourge Pricing When Using Apps Like Uber