Northern Colorado women's basketball team beats Portland State on the road 67-42
After two tough losses in the state of Montana, the UNC women's basketball team went into Portland and defeated Portland State, 67-42, Thursday at the Peter W. Stott Center in Portland, Ore.
The University of Northern Colorado (7-8, 4-2 Big Sky) had yet to win a game on the road this season, and one big component to ending that streak was sophomore center Stephanie Lee, who came off the bench to score the game-high 17 points, going 8-for-11. Following Lee was junior guard D'shara Strange, who had 15 points.
The Bears shot 56.9 percent, which is the fourth best the team has done since moving to Division I, and that is also the highest percentage the team has achieved on the road since the move.
In her first start since the season-opener against Air Force, sophomore guard Lindsay Mallon tied with Strange for the team-high 10 rebounds. All of Strange's rebounds came defensively.
The Bears' defense was a big component to the win, holding Portland State University (8-8, 2-5) to a 26.2 shooting percentage, and the Vikings were unable to sink any 3-pointers with the 10 different attempts during the game. No one for Portland State was able to get double-digit points in the win, and had only 17 offensive rebounds, due to UNC's 37 on defense.
However, offensively the Bears only had six rebounds, while Portland State managed 18 defensive rebounds.
The Bears will return home for a two-game home stand, but first the team faces Eastern Washington (8-8, 4-30) at 3:05 p.m. Saturday on the Eagle's home court. Eastern Washington also won Thursday, beating North Dakota, 75-72.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Pet homelessness continues to grow
- Walking along the blue wall
- Are there potentially dangerous gaps in the law for owning firearms?
- Chemistry teachers flock to UNC for conference
- UNC Study of Prehistoric Archaeological Sites Receives BLM Funding
- Why I'm afraid for the upcoming presidential election
- Jeff Linder brought on as UNC Men's Basketball Head Coach
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board