Northern Colorado women's basketball team beats Portland State on the road 67-42
After two tough losses in the state of Montana, the UNC women's basketball team went into Portland and defeated Portland State, 67-42, Thursday at the Peter W. Stott Center in Portland, Ore.
The University of Northern Colorado (7-8, 4-2 Big Sky) had yet to win a game on the road this season, and one big component to ending that streak was sophomore center Stephanie Lee, who came off the bench to score the game-high 17 points, going 8-for-11. Following Lee was junior guard D'shara Strange, who had 15 points.
The Bears shot 56.9 percent, which is the fourth best the team has done since moving to Division I, and that is also the highest percentage the team has achieved on the road since the move.
In her first start since the season-opener against Air Force, sophomore guard Lindsay Mallon tied with Strange for the team-high 10 rebounds. All of Strange's rebounds came defensively.
The Bears' defense was a big component to the win, holding Portland State University (8-8, 2-5) to a 26.2 shooting percentage, and the Vikings were unable to sink any 3-pointers with the 10 different attempts during the game. No one for Portland State was able to get double-digit points in the win, and had only 17 offensive rebounds, due to UNC's 37 on defense.
However, offensively the Bears only had six rebounds, while Portland State managed 18 defensive rebounds.
The Bears will return home for a two-game home stand, but first the team faces Eastern Washington (8-8, 4-30) at 3:05 p.m. Saturday on the Eagle's home court. Eastern Washington also won Thursday, beating North Dakota, 75-72.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More UNC Mirror News Articles
Recent UNC Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNC MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNC MIRROR NEWS
- Northern Colorado student Amber "Billy" Chadderdon finds her path
- COLUMN: Stay young-and classy-Northern Colorado grads
- EDITORIAL: Take advantage of summer while you still can, undergraduates
- Northern Colorado student Steven Josephson combines art and news
- Northern Colorado Hazel E. Johnson award winner aspires to be Colorado educator
- University of Northern Colorado swimmer balances nursing program and...
- The triple-major athlete: Joe Carroll Q&A
RECENT UNC MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy
- AARP Offers Tools for Caregivers
- Getting the Best Price for Your House to Help Finance...
- Take Ownership of Your Vacation Time