REVIEW: Colorado Ballet awes audience with "The Nutcracker"
Adam Still flys high during The Nutcracker. Mike Watson |Colorado Ballet
For anyone enrolled in classes at the local dance studio growing up, "The Nutcracker" is familiar as the two-part ballet that every dancer-in-training grows tired of performing each year during the holiday season. For everyone else, "The Nutcracker" is as much a celebrated hallmark of the holiday season as the smell of Christmas trees, poinsettias and Thanksgiving shopping sales.
This year Colorado Ballet ushered in its 53rd sugary-sweet season performance of "The Nutcracker" on Saturday at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House in the Denver Performing Arts Complex.
Colorado Ballet has a particularly special relationship with "The Nutcracker." It was the first ever production that the local dance company took to the stage in 1961. Colorado Ballet, which is one of the state's oldest art institutions, is a nationally recognized dance company that started out with simple roots as a local
ballet school founded by Freidann Parker and Lillian Covillo.
Using expressive body language, enchanting choreography sequences and incredibly intricate set design as their needle and thread, the artistic staff at Colorado Ballet wove together the fantastical tale of "The Nutcracker:" a young girl named Clara whose toy soldier is transformed into a living, breathing prince.
Together they travel to magical lands, fight off gigantic rats, and eat delicious treats.
Clara wakes the next morning unsure if it was all a dream or not.
It seemed like audience members of all ages were able to let go of reality for a couple of hours and become immersed into the pastel, glitter-encrusted world that had been created on stage.
During the "Waltz of the Snowflakes," for example, the glistening fake snow that came down steadily heightened the dizzying effect of dancers swirling across stage.
And during the Arabian Coffee dance sequence, soloist Shelby Dyer seemed to hold the audience in wonder with her sultry body movements and controlled extensions.
Paying to watch a child and her toy magically transport to faraway lands with names like the Land of the Snow and the Kingdom of the Sugar Plum Fairy may seem babyish to the average college student, but maybe that's the point.
For most students at the University of Northern Colorado, winter break is a chance to go home and connect with family again. Nothing quite says "fun for the whole family" like a group of life-sized rats pulling off technically perfect leaps and turns.
Visit the Colorado Ballet website at coloradoballet.org to purchase tickets or for a full list of productions and ticket prices.
As a helpful hint, use the STUDENT promotion code to see what discounts are available for college students.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- A Poem: Insert Your Name Here
- What will you tell your kids about sex?
- University of Northern Colorado hosts “Uranium Drive-In” which sheds...
- University of Northern Colorado students find hump day relief at local Bar...
- Northern Colorado tennis wraps up season at ITA Regionals
- Paranormal tips, tricks and sightings at the University of Northern Colorado
- Bears Madness previews Northern Colorado basketball season
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR