Black History Month continues with celebration of local community
Black History Month celebrations are in full swing at UNC, and for the first time the Dearfield Dream Conference will be celebrating the once-thriving African-American agricultural community 23 miles east of Greeley.
The conference will be at 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday in the Columbine Suites at the University Center. Admission is free and the conference is open to the public.
The conference will feature a variety of speakers and displays emphasizing Dearfield's historical significance and current archaeological studies. It will explore historic documents and photographs, as well as the oral histories of former Dearfield residents and decedents.
The University of Northern Colorado will also host a free preview of the documentary "Dearfield: Remnants of a Dream" by Charles Nuckolls at 7 p.m. Feb. 18 in Michener Library.
Dearfield was founded in 1910 to instill African-Americans with a sense of economic stability and social justice. By the 1920s it produced barley, strawberries and potatoes and was home to nearly 70 families.
Due to the economic down turn of the 1920s and the severe damage caused by the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, Dearfield became a ghost town and point of interest for tourists.
The Dearfield Heritage Preservation Committee created the Dearfield Dream Project through The Black American West Museum in Denver.
The conference is hosted through a partnership between UNC, Colorado State University and Texas A&M and in coordination with Weld County, the Greeley Tourism Office, Colorado Preservation Inc. and community volunteers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- A Poem: Insert Your Name Here
- What will you tell your kids about sex?
- University of Northern Colorado hosts “Uranium Drive-In” which sheds...
- University of Northern Colorado students find hump day relief at local Bar...
- Northern Colorado tennis wraps up season at ITA Regionals
- Paranormal tips, tricks and sightings at the University of Northern Colorado
- Bears Madness previews Northern Colorado basketball season
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”