Black History Month continues with celebration of local community
Black History Month celebrations are in full swing at UNC, and for the first time the Dearfield Dream Conference will be celebrating the once-thriving African-American agricultural community 23 miles east of Greeley.
The conference will be at 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday in the Columbine Suites at the University Center. Admission is free and the conference is open to the public.
The conference will feature a variety of speakers and displays emphasizing Dearfield's historical significance and current archaeological studies. It will explore historic documents and photographs, as well as the oral histories of former Dearfield residents and decedents.
The University of Northern Colorado will also host a free preview of the documentary "Dearfield: Remnants of a Dream" by Charles Nuckolls at 7 p.m. Feb. 18 in Michener Library.
Dearfield was founded in 1910 to instill African-Americans with a sense of economic stability and social justice. By the 1920s it produced barley, strawberries and potatoes and was home to nearly 70 families.
Due to the economic down turn of the 1920s and the severe damage caused by the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, Dearfield became a ghost town and point of interest for tourists.
The Dearfield Heritage Preservation Committee created the Dearfield Dream Project through The Black American West Museum in Denver.
The conference is hosted through a partnership between UNC, Colorado State University and Texas A&M and in coordination with Weld County, the Greeley Tourism Office, Colorado Preservation Inc. and community volunteers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Words of wisdom from a departing senior
- The road unknown is one to expect
- University of Northern Colorado Grad Becca says “Learn for the sake of...
- Northern Colorado football player eyes future
- Artist leaves University of Northern Colorado with new perspective
- University of Northern Colorado's Career Services engaged in helping students
- University of Northern Colorado special education major accidentally finds...
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists