Black History Month continues with celebration of local community
Black History Month celebrations are in full swing at UNC, and for the first time the Dearfield Dream Conference will be celebrating the once-thriving African-American agricultural community 23 miles east of Greeley.
The conference will be at 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday in the Columbine Suites at the University Center. Admission is free and the conference is open to the public.
The conference will feature a variety of speakers and displays emphasizing Dearfield's historical significance and current archaeological studies. It will explore historic documents and photographs, as well as the oral histories of former Dearfield residents and decedents.
The University of Northern Colorado will also host a free preview of the documentary "Dearfield: Remnants of a Dream" by Charles Nuckolls at 7 p.m. Feb. 18 in Michener Library.
Dearfield was founded in 1910 to instill African-Americans with a sense of economic stability and social justice. By the 1920s it produced barley, strawberries and potatoes and was home to nearly 70 families.
Due to the economic down turn of the 1920s and the severe damage caused by the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, Dearfield became a ghost town and point of interest for tourists.
The Dearfield Heritage Preservation Committee created the Dearfield Dream Project through The Black American West Museum in Denver.
The conference is hosted through a partnership between UNC, Colorado State University and Texas A&M and in coordination with Weld County, the Greeley Tourism Office, Colorado Preservation Inc. and community volunteers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- The years of protest marching are dead today
- Letter to the editor: Gardner wrong on health
- Facebook leads to philisophical life epiphany
- Northern Colorado student athletes talk about Bear Pride
- Northern Colorado women's soccer splits weekend games
- Northern Colorado football falls to Idaho State University
- Northern Colorado swimming and diving earns second victory
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!