Black History Month continues with celebration of local community
Black History Month celebrations are in full swing at UNC, and for the first time the Dearfield Dream Conference will be celebrating the once-thriving African-American agricultural community 23 miles east of Greeley.
The conference will be at 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday in the Columbine Suites at the University Center. Admission is free and the conference is open to the public.
The conference will feature a variety of speakers and displays emphasizing Dearfield's historical significance and current archaeological studies. It will explore historic documents and photographs, as well as the oral histories of former Dearfield residents and decedents.
The University of Northern Colorado will also host a free preview of the documentary "Dearfield: Remnants of a Dream" by Charles Nuckolls at 7 p.m. Feb. 18 in Michener Library.
Dearfield was founded in 1910 to instill African-Americans with a sense of economic stability and social justice. By the 1920s it produced barley, strawberries and potatoes and was home to nearly 70 families.
Due to the economic down turn of the 1920s and the severe damage caused by the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, Dearfield became a ghost town and point of interest for tourists.
The Dearfield Heritage Preservation Committee created the Dearfield Dream Project through The Black American West Museum in Denver.
The conference is hosted through a partnership between UNC, Colorado State University and Texas A&M and in coordination with Weld County, the Greeley Tourism Office, Colorado Preservation Inc. and community volunteers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Mirror News Articles
Recent The Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIRROR NEWS
- Local music spotlight: Hypnotic Vibes
- Students bring back the 80s on the dance floor
- Homecoming Swing Club dance
- UNC Student Senate meets first time this semester
- Mud run calls for University of Northern Colorado involvement
- Fun, food and pledges at Greek BBQ
- EDITORIAL: Women’s equality in the work force
RECENT THE MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care