Black History Month continues with celebration of local community
Black History Month celebrations are in full swing at UNC, and for the first time the Dearfield Dream Conference will be celebrating the once-thriving African-American agricultural community 23 miles east of Greeley.
The conference will be at 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday in the Columbine Suites at the University Center. Admission is free and the conference is open to the public.
The conference will feature a variety of speakers and displays emphasizing Dearfield's historical significance and current archaeological studies. It will explore historic documents and photographs, as well as the oral histories of former Dearfield residents and decedents.
The University of Northern Colorado will also host a free preview of the documentary "Dearfield: Remnants of a Dream" by Charles Nuckolls at 7 p.m. Feb. 18 in Michener Library.
Dearfield was founded in 1910 to instill African-Americans with a sense of economic stability and social justice. By the 1920s it produced barley, strawberries and potatoes and was home to nearly 70 families.
Due to the economic down turn of the 1920s and the severe damage caused by the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, Dearfield became a ghost town and point of interest for tourists.
The Dearfield Heritage Preservation Committee created the Dearfield Dream Project through The Black American West Museum in Denver.
The conference is hosted through a partnership between UNC, Colorado State University and Texas A&M and in coordination with Weld County, the Greeley Tourism Office, Colorado Preservation Inc. and community volunteers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More UNC Mirror News Articles
Recent UNC Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNC MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNC MIRROR NEWS
- Northern Colorado student Amber "Billy" Chadderdon finds her path
- COLUMN: Stay young-and classy-Northern Colorado grads
- EDITORIAL: Take advantage of summer while you still can, undergraduates
- Northern Colorado student Steven Josephson combines art and news
- Northern Colorado Hazel E. Johnson award winner aspires to be Colorado educator
- University of Northern Colorado swimmer balances nursing program and...
- The triple-major athlete: Joe Carroll Q&A
RECENT UNC MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit