Health club students construct houses in volunteer, community effort
A Pre-Health Professional Club member knocks down a wall in a volunteer job with Habitat for Humanity. Club members said they hope to keep working with Habitat. Courtesy of the Pre-Health Professionals Club
The UNC Pre-Health Professionals Club volunteered with Habitat for Humanity Saturday to help the Greeley community and students who are looking to be a part of health services in the future.
"We like to do as many volunteering opportunities as possible; that's why we're working with Habitat for Humanity," said Deidre Shutte, treasurer of the PHPC. "We also work with the Weld County Food Bank."
The PHPC is an organization that intends to help people around the community, and its students benefit from the experience they acquire on such jobs.
Both PHPC and Habitat have stated a commitment to helping those in the community lead better lives.
"Most of the people who are benefited from Habitat for Humanity live in homes that aren't up to code or there is overcrowding," said Chrystal Weigum, president of the PHPC. "So their health is at risk."
The club has been working with Habitat for Humanity for the past couple of years.
"We help them build homes once or twice throughout the year," Shutte said.
The pre-health students worked on two homes this weekend. Usually, they only work on one. Twelve club members attended the service event, as well as volunteering multicultural greek members.
"We give our members the unique opportunity to serve their community," Weigum said. "I love getting to know the new homeowner and seeing their face when they get their new home. It's really great to help people out."
According to the PHPC websiteat www.unco.edu/clubs/prehealth/, the group's purpose is to "promote the pursuit of professionals in the field of health by educating our peers about the processes involved in gaining entrance to professional schools offering these degrees while providing members with opportunities to be exposed to these professions in a way which allows them to make well-informed, sound decisions."
Their mission is to "provide their members with the information and materials to be successful in their attempts to gain entrance to any accredited professional institution/university offering health-related, post-baccalaureate degrees."
Members of the club said they hope to help out more people in the future by continuing their partnership with Habitat for Humanity.
‘This really is an established event," Weigum said. "I hope the future boards continue it. It's a great way to impact our community."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- University of Northern Colorado Police Department investigates unlawful contact
- EDITORIAL: ‘Weed will burn down your house and sleep with your wife’
- Simplifying smoke slang: Weed Dictionary
- Weed Etiquette: How to cut in a smoke session and How to navigate a pipe store
- Along the hem of the Colorado border
- High times in Northern Colorado
- Weed ad restrictions flare conflict in Northern Colorado
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!