Health club students construct houses in volunteer, community effort
A Pre-Health Professional Club member knocks down a wall in a volunteer job with Habitat for Humanity. Club members said they hope to keep working with Habitat. Courtesy of the Pre-Health Professionals Club
The UNC Pre-Health Professionals Club volunteered with Habitat for Humanity Saturday to help the Greeley community and students who are looking to be a part of health services in the future.
"We like to do as many volunteering opportunities as possible; that's why we're working with Habitat for Humanity," said Deidre Shutte, treasurer of the PHPC. "We also work with the Weld County Food Bank."
The PHPC is an organization that intends to help people around the community, and its students benefit from the experience they acquire on such jobs.
Both PHPC and Habitat have stated a commitment to helping those in the community lead better lives.
"Most of the people who are benefited from Habitat for Humanity live in homes that aren't up to code or there is overcrowding," said Chrystal Weigum, president of the PHPC. "So their health is at risk."
The club has been working with Habitat for Humanity for the past couple of years.
"We help them build homes once or twice throughout the year," Shutte said.
The pre-health students worked on two homes this weekend. Usually, they only work on one. Twelve club members attended the service event, as well as volunteering multicultural greek members.
"We give our members the unique opportunity to serve their community," Weigum said. "I love getting to know the new homeowner and seeing their face when they get their new home. It's really great to help people out."
According to the PHPC websiteat www.unco.edu/clubs/prehealth/, the group's purpose is to "promote the pursuit of professionals in the field of health by educating our peers about the processes involved in gaining entrance to professional schools offering these degrees while providing members with opportunities to be exposed to these professions in a way which allows them to make well-informed, sound decisions."
Their mission is to "provide their members with the information and materials to be successful in their attempts to gain entrance to any accredited professional institution/university offering health-related, post-baccalaureate degrees."
Members of the club said they hope to help out more people in the future by continuing their partnership with Habitat for Humanity.
‘This really is an established event," Weigum said. "I hope the future boards continue it. It's a great way to impact our community."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Art: Defining the undefinable
- Super Bowl Preview: NFL and media responsibility
- Super Bowl Preview: Battle for NFL's best secondary
- Helicopter parents' harmful hovering at Northern Colorado
- Super Bowl Preview: Clash of the old and the new
- University of Northern Colorado students show various talents at annual...
- What would you grab in a fire?
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor