Northern Colorado men's basketball defeat Eastern Washington at home
Now starting to group together some wins, the UNC men's basketball team controlled Eastern Washington during a 72-56 win Saturday at Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion to build some momentum before traveling for an upcoming two-game road stint.
"Having the feeling of being home, being on our court, shooting on our rims and have that crowd that was so excited definitely motivates our team, and it showed," sophomore forward Tim Huskisson said. "The last two games we've played our fans have been in it - it definitely puts a positive effect on home court advantage."
Prior to beating the Eagles (4-12, 3-5 Big Sky), the University of Northern Colorado (5-11, 3-5) defeated Portland State 67-50 at home Thursday to snap a five-game losing streak.
The Bears used the crowd to their benefit Saturday, coming out with five big first-half 3-pointers, getting the gym loud early.
A big part of UNC's success was the rebounding effort, with the Bears snatching 47 rebounds to Eastern Washington's 29.
"We used to side three guys to the basket (for rebounds), but we got beat up on the road during transition and Tim wasn't going so we sent him back to defensive transition, so theoretically we should be getting less, not more," UNC head coach B.J. Hill said of the team's rebounding Saturday. "I think it has a lot to do with (junior center) Connor (Osborne) and (junior forward) Derrick (Barden) who had 13 (offensive rebounds combined) and the guards rebounding their shots."
Saturday's success had Barden's and junior guard Tate Unruh's fingerprints all over it, with dazzling performances by both.
With his third double-double in three games, Barden grabbed 15 rebounds and scored 15 points. Barden also had nine points and eight rebounds in the victory against Portland State.
Unruh made five 3-pointers for the fourth consecutive game, went 8-for-15 from the field overall and finished with 21 points and one steal.
"As a shooter, you can't ask for more unselfish teammates," Unruh said. "I can't thank them enough. Shots weren't necessarily falling all night, but we played tough defense and our bigs are awesome. Derrick goes like no one else in this league."
The Bears take to the road for their next two games, starting the trip at 6:35 p.m. Thursday at Northern Arizona (6-12, 3-5) and concludes at 8:05 p.m. Saturday at Sacramento State (8-8, 3-5). The Bears' sole road win this season was against North Dakota, 75-66, on Dec. 21.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- The rules of the game are rules for life for Northern Colorado athletes
- Weed at Northern Colorado: Taboo or not?
- Holding it down at home
- Drunkorexia at Northern Colorado: Eating less to drink more
- Northern Colorado's most dysfunctional family takes the stage
- A Poem: Insert Your Name Here
- What will you tell your kids about sex?
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR