Northern Colorado men's basketball defeat Eastern Washington at home
Now starting to group together some wins, the UNC men's basketball team controlled Eastern Washington during a 72-56 win Saturday at Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion to build some momentum before traveling for an upcoming two-game road stint.
"Having the feeling of being home, being on our court, shooting on our rims and have that crowd that was so excited definitely motivates our team, and it showed," sophomore forward Tim Huskisson said. "The last two games we've played our fans have been in it - it definitely puts a positive effect on home court advantage."
Prior to beating the Eagles (4-12, 3-5 Big Sky), the University of Northern Colorado (5-11, 3-5) defeated Portland State 67-50 at home Thursday to snap a five-game losing streak.
The Bears used the crowd to their benefit Saturday, coming out with five big first-half 3-pointers, getting the gym loud early.
A big part of UNC's success was the rebounding effort, with the Bears snatching 47 rebounds to Eastern Washington's 29.
"We used to side three guys to the basket (for rebounds), but we got beat up on the road during transition and Tim wasn't going so we sent him back to defensive transition, so theoretically we should be getting less, not more," UNC head coach B.J. Hill said of the team's rebounding Saturday. "I think it has a lot to do with (junior center) Connor (Osborne) and (junior forward) Derrick (Barden) who had 13 (offensive rebounds combined) and the guards rebounding their shots."
Saturday's success had Barden's and junior guard Tate Unruh's fingerprints all over it, with dazzling performances by both.
With his third double-double in three games, Barden grabbed 15 rebounds and scored 15 points. Barden also had nine points and eight rebounds in the victory against Portland State.
Unruh made five 3-pointers for the fourth consecutive game, went 8-for-15 from the field overall and finished with 21 points and one steal.
"As a shooter, you can't ask for more unselfish teammates," Unruh said. "I can't thank them enough. Shots weren't necessarily falling all night, but we played tough defense and our bigs are awesome. Derrick goes like no one else in this league."
The Bears take to the road for their next two games, starting the trip at 6:35 p.m. Thursday at Northern Arizona (6-12, 3-5) and concludes at 8:05 p.m. Saturday at Sacramento State (8-8, 3-5). The Bears' sole road win this season was against North Dakota, 75-66, on Dec. 21.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- EDITORIAL: ‘Weed will burn down your house and sleep with your wife’
- Simplifying smoke slang: Weed Dictionary
- Weed Etiquette: How to cut in a smoke session and How to navigate a pipe store
- Along the hem of the Colorado border
- High times in Northern Colorado
- Weed ad restrictions flare conflict in Northern Colorado
- Weed Etiquette: The do's and don'ts
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!