Northern Colorado men's basketball defeat Eastern Washington at home
Now starting to group together some wins, the UNC men's basketball team controlled Eastern Washington during a 72-56 win Saturday at Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion to build some momentum before traveling for an upcoming two-game road stint.
"Having the feeling of being home, being on our court, shooting on our rims and have that crowd that was so excited definitely motivates our team, and it showed," sophomore forward Tim Huskisson said. "The last two games we've played our fans have been in it - it definitely puts a positive effect on home court advantage."
Prior to beating the Eagles (4-12, 3-5 Big Sky), the University of Northern Colorado (5-11, 3-5) defeated Portland State 67-50 at home Thursday to snap a five-game losing streak.
The Bears used the crowd to their benefit Saturday, coming out with five big first-half 3-pointers, getting the gym loud early.
A big part of UNC's success was the rebounding effort, with the Bears snatching 47 rebounds to Eastern Washington's 29.
"We used to side three guys to the basket (for rebounds), but we got beat up on the road during transition and Tim wasn't going so we sent him back to defensive transition, so theoretically we should be getting less, not more," UNC head coach B.J. Hill said of the team's rebounding Saturday. "I think it has a lot to do with (junior center) Connor (Osborne) and (junior forward) Derrick (Barden) who had 13 (offensive rebounds combined) and the guards rebounding their shots."
Saturday's success had Barden's and junior guard Tate Unruh's fingerprints all over it, with dazzling performances by both.
With his third double-double in three games, Barden grabbed 15 rebounds and scored 15 points. Barden also had nine points and eight rebounds in the victory against Portland State.
Unruh made five 3-pointers for the fourth consecutive game, went 8-for-15 from the field overall and finished with 21 points and one steal.
"As a shooter, you can't ask for more unselfish teammates," Unruh said. "I can't thank them enough. Shots weren't necessarily falling all night, but we played tough defense and our bigs are awesome. Derrick goes like no one else in this league."
The Bears take to the road for their next two games, starting the trip at 6:35 p.m. Thursday at Northern Arizona (6-12, 3-5) and concludes at 8:05 p.m. Saturday at Sacramento State (8-8, 3-5). The Bears' sole road win this season was against North Dakota, 75-66, on Dec. 21.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- The years of protest marching are dead today
- Letter to the editor: Gardner wrong on health
- Facebook leads to philisophical life epiphany
- Northern Colorado student athletes talk about Bear Pride
- Northern Colorado women's soccer splits weekend games
- Northern Colorado football falls to Idaho State University
- Northern Colorado swimming and diving earns second victory
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!