Northern Colorado women's basketball loses to Eastern Washington, splits road trip
After a 3-0 start to Big Sky play, the UNC women's basketball team went 1-1 in its two-game road trip that ended Saturday with a 63-38 loss to Eastern Washington.
The University of Northern Colorado (7-9, 4-3 Big Sky) had problems shooting and defending the long ball as the Bears were unable to sink a 3-pointer in 22 attempts, and they were unable to stop Eastern Washington (9-8, 5-3) from shooting 7-of-9 from beyond the arc.
While the Eagles were able to shoot a 53.5 field goal percentage, UNC only managed to shoot 22.2 percent. Leading the Bears in points was senior forward Lauren Oosdyke with nine, followed by junior guard D'shara Strange and senior forward Hannah Thornton with seven points apiece.
Oosdyke led the game with 10 rebounds, snagging five offensive and defensive boards. Strange was next on the team with eight of her own, which helped the Bears win the rebounding margin 44-31. All of Eastern Washington's rebounds were on the defensive side of the floor.
EWU freshman forward Hayley Hodgins, sophomore guard Lexie Nelson and junior center Laura Hughes all posted double-digit scoring nights for the Eagles. Hodgins led them with 17, while Nelson and Hughes both had 11.
Hodgins went 3-for-3 on 3-point attempts and 7-for-7 overall from the field, while Nelson went 3-for-9 and 2-for-7 in field goals and 3-pointers, respectively. Though Hughes didn't sink a 3-pointer, she went 5-for-8 from the floor.
After career-best games for sophomore Stephanie Lee (17 points Thursday in a win against Portland State) and sophomore forward Lindsay Mallon (10 rebounds Thursday against the Vikings), the two struggled Saturday. Getting her third start of the season, Mallon was unable to score and recorded only one rebound. Lee went 3-for-5 at the line but didn't make a field goal.
The loss puts the Bears at 1-9 on the road for the season. Thursday's 67-42 win against Portland State (9-8, 3-5) was the team's first win away from home.
The Bears return home for a 7:05 p.m. game Thursday against Northern Arizona (4-12, 3-4). The Lumberjacks will come to Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion after a 52-48 loss to Idaho State Saturday. Northern Arizona is 2-6 on the road this season, while the Bears are undefeated in six games at home.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Mirror News Articles
Recent The Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIRROR NEWS
- Norton addresses Campus Commons in State of the University address
- Born to Wander find their path
- Northern Colorado women's soccer wins against Nebraska-Omaha
- Local band spotlight: Silver and Gold
- Northern Colorado volleyball wins one in weekend tournament
- Northern Colorado defense holds off Huskies at home football opener
- Bears learn how to broaden their horizons
RECENT THE MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership