All for a good cause
Food drive registers 82 organizations
For the third year, Cans to Candelaria, which is sponsored by the School of Communications, is collecting money and non-perishable items for the Weld Food Bank.
"We're all just trying to spread the awareness around campus, and getting everyone involved," said Jeremy Bremmer, a senior journalism major.
The goal this year is to collect 10,000 pounds of food. In addition to cans, monetary donations will also be accepted, and $1 will be equivalent to six pounds of food.
Last year, Cans to Candelaria collected 7,943 pounds of food and raised $3,455 to donate to the Weld Food Bank, which allowed them to purchase an additional 20,730 pounds of food.
"The important thing to remember is that this is about supporting the food drive," said Lee Anne Peck, an assistant journalism and mass communications professor. "They need our help more than ever this fall, and our food drive comes in between drives in the summer and drives during the holidays."
Three sponsors, 99.9 The Point radio station, Ghent Motors and the Weld County Garage, are sponsoring the food drive.
As of the Friday deadline, 82 groups have signed up for the Cans to Candelaria food drive. In 2006, the Student Dietetic Association won first place by collecting more than 400 pounds of food, and last year, Alpha Kappa Psi, a business fraternity, won by collecting more than 600 pounds of food.
Contributions can be dropped off between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Thursday at the parking lot north of Kepner Hall and in the lot west of Candelaria Hall.
Community members can also drop off donations at the Greeley Board of Realtors office at 819 11th St., Ghent Motors at 2715 35th Ave. or the Weld County Garage at 2699 47th Ave.
In response to the increasing number of contributions, cans will not be lined leading to Candelaria Hall.
"It's just too hard," Peck said. "The more cans we get, the harder it is to do that even though visually it looks really nice."
The event originally started as a class project for Peck's JMC 481 Public Relations Techniques class. It has now grown into an annual event where students control almost every aspect of the food drive and gain firsthand experience in event planning.
"I think it has given us a little bit more of a chance to show the community that UNC really does care, and that we're not just a bunch of rambunctious college students running around the town," said Alyssa Sudermann, a senior journalism and communication major. "We're just giving back those who cannot afford much."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- A Poem: Insert Your Name Here
- What will you tell your kids about sex?
- University of Northern Colorado hosts “Uranium Drive-In” which sheds...
- University of Northern Colorado students find hump day relief at local Bar...
- Northern Colorado tennis wraps up season at ITA Regionals
- Paranormal tips, tricks and sightings at the University of Northern Colorado
- Bears Madness previews Northern Colorado basketball season
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”