All for a good cause
Food drive registers 82 organizations
For the third year, Cans to Candelaria, which is sponsored by the School of Communications, is collecting money and non-perishable items for the Weld Food Bank.
"We're all just trying to spread the awareness around campus, and getting everyone involved," said Jeremy Bremmer, a senior journalism major.
The goal this year is to collect 10,000 pounds of food. In addition to cans, monetary donations will also be accepted, and $1 will be equivalent to six pounds of food.
Last year, Cans to Candelaria collected 7,943 pounds of food and raised $3,455 to donate to the Weld Food Bank, which allowed them to purchase an additional 20,730 pounds of food.
"The important thing to remember is that this is about supporting the food drive," said Lee Anne Peck, an assistant journalism and mass communications professor. "They need our help more than ever this fall, and our food drive comes in between drives in the summer and drives during the holidays."
Three sponsors, 99.9 The Point radio station, Ghent Motors and the Weld County Garage, are sponsoring the food drive.
As of the Friday deadline, 82 groups have signed up for the Cans to Candelaria food drive. In 2006, the Student Dietetic Association won first place by collecting more than 400 pounds of food, and last year, Alpha Kappa Psi, a business fraternity, won by collecting more than 600 pounds of food.
Contributions can be dropped off between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Thursday at the parking lot north of Kepner Hall and in the lot west of Candelaria Hall.
Community members can also drop off donations at the Greeley Board of Realtors office at 819 11th St., Ghent Motors at 2715 35th Ave. or the Weld County Garage at 2699 47th Ave.
In response to the increasing number of contributions, cans will not be lined leading to Candelaria Hall.
"It's just too hard," Peck said. "The more cans we get, the harder it is to do that even though visually it looks really nice."
The event originally started as a class project for Peck's JMC 481 Public Relations Techniques class. It has now grown into an annual event where students control almost every aspect of the food drive and gain firsthand experience in event planning.
"I think it has given us a little bit more of a chance to show the community that UNC really does care, and that we're not just a bunch of rambunctious college students running around the town," said Alyssa Sudermann, a senior journalism and communication major. "We're just giving back those who cannot afford much."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Religious debate takes place outside of Northern Colorado University Center
- Former partier talks to Northern Colorado students about alcohol
- The years of protest marching are dead today
- Letter to the editor: Gardner wrong on health
- Facebook leads to philisophical life epiphany
- Northern Colorado student athletes talk about Bear Pride
- Northern Colorado women's soccer splits weekend games
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!