Smashing display helps raise money for cancer research
From a distance, students may have been alarmed to see several students standing atop a car, swinging a heavy sledgehammer into the roof. But on closer look, it was actually a fundraising event that allowed students the opportunity to relieve midterm stress by destroying a car.
The Pi Lambda Chi Latina sorority hosted the fundraising event in support of their Relay for Life team, Cancer Kickers.
The sorority chose a car-smashing event because they had previously seen similar activities at the University of Northern Colorado, but in recent years the event had disappeared. The organizers also thought that since the chance to destroy a car is pretty rare, people would be interested.
"People think the event is awesome," says Lucia Balderas, a member of Phi Lambda Chi and a senior Mexican-American studies major. "They are really excited to hit the car."
Students were certainly drawn to the event. By mid-afternoon, the event had drawn about 50 participants and it was expected to gain more attention as classes ended for the day. Many students who passed by the event in the morning came back after class with friends.
The car was parked in a roped off area in the parking lot behind the University Center in a central location for students as they walked to classes or residence halls located on west campus.
The good weather and upbeat music caused many to participate or look on as other students took a swing.
Students were charged $1 for three hits to the car, which was donated by I-76 Towing.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More UNC Mirror News Articles
Recent UNC Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNC MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNC MIRROR NEWS
- Northern Colorado student Amber "Billy" Chadderdon finds her path
- COLUMN: Stay young-and classy-Northern Colorado grads
- EDITORIAL: Take advantage of summer while you still can, undergraduates
- Northern Colorado student Steven Josephson combines art and news
- Northern Colorado Hazel E. Johnson award winner aspires to be Colorado educator
- University of Northern Colorado swimmer balances nursing program and...
- The triple-major athlete: Joe Carroll Q&A
RECENT UNC MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit