Educator gives students three rules for good, safer sex
Shanna Katz, a sex educator, introduces students to Vivian the Vulva while discussing the three rules of good sex during Queer Sex 101 Thursday in Hansen-Willis Hall. Rochelle Ball
When it comes to having sex, there are three rules to abide by in order to achieve a good experience.
Shanna Katz, a sex educator, coach, writer and consultant, shared these rules in a "Queer Sex Ed 101" lecture to about 40 students in Hansen-Willis Hall.
The presentation was geared toward people claiming any sexual orientation.
Anais Fajardo, a sophomore psychology major and diversity mentor for Central Coalition, said she organized the program because it offered a great learning experience.
"It is meant to be an educational piece to show the inclusive environment that UNC is," Fajardo said.
The first rule, Katz said, is establishing good communication between partners, and the first step toward that is knowing genitalia anatomy.
Katz then proceeded to demonstrate of the anatomy of genitalia via puppets.
Establishing communication, she said, also keeps the sexual encounter pleasant for parties involved.
She also advised students to see their doctors at least once a year.
Katz then shared the benefits of lubricants as the next rule .
There are either water, oil or silicone-based lubricants. There are benefits to each as well as things to take note of.
"Oil-based lubes are great for external masturbation," she said. "But it should never go in the vagina or anus because it'll clog the pores."
She then described silicone-based lube as the Energizer Bunny but said it should not be used with solid silicone sexual products.
Water-based lubricants, she said, dry out quickly, and water should be used instead of more lubricant.
The last rule, she said, is the necessity of laughing.
"Sex is funny. Bodies are funny. Period," she said. "Things happen and you have to be able to laugh. Besides, laughing produces endorphins, and being turned on also produces endorphins. You've got double the endorphins so you'll feel twice as good by the end."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses