Panel of professors to discuss teaching with faith at secular schools
Politics and religion are typically topics of conversation many people try to avoid in an effort not to offend others. However, some UNC professors are breaking that stigma with the panel discussion Faith and the Academy: Religious Belief in the Secular University.
"The idea is to have professors with different faiths discuss what it may be like to teach in a secular school," said Mary Angeline, the co-director of the Life of the Mind, member of the Committee for First Year Common Book and an English instructor at the University of Northern Colorado.
The discussion will be moderated by Tom Smith, the dean of University College, and will feature a panel of six UNC professors, each identifying with a different faith.
Panelists will include Lin Allen, a professor of communication, Jonathan Bellman, a professor of music, Reid Hayward, an associate professor of sports and exercise science, William Hoyt, a professor of oceanography, Keiko Krahnke, an associate professor of management and business communications, a professor of English, Michael Mills, an instructor in English and co-director of the Life of the Mind program, and Spencer Weiler, an assistant professor of educational leadership and policy studies.
University College, First Year Common Book Events 2012 and Life of the Mind are hosting the panel discussion.
The panel discussion will begin at 7 p.m. in Milne Auditorium in Kepner Hall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More UNC Mirror News Articles
Recent UNC Mirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNC MIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNC MIRROR NEWS
- Northern Colorado student Amber "Billy" Chadderdon finds her path
- COLUMN: Stay young-and classy-Northern Colorado grads
- EDITORIAL: Take advantage of summer while you still can, undergraduates
- Northern Colorado student Steven Josephson combines art and news
- Northern Colorado Hazel E. Johnson award winner aspires to be Colorado educator
- University of Northern Colorado swimmer balances nursing program and...
- The triple-major athlete: Joe Carroll Q&A
RECENT UNC MIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools