Colorado Ballet tells the story of a holocaust survivor
UNC senior guard Will Figures, the team’s leading scorer with 15.9 points per game, dribbles around a defender in the Bears’ 78-66 win over Idaho State earlier this season. File Photo/The Mirror
"The production is a powerful and emotional experience showcasing the triumph of the human spirit," said Colorado Ballet Artistic Director Gil Boggs of Light a contemporary ballet that relives the intense, personal story of a Holocaust survivor.
The story is inspired by Naomi Warren, a holocaust survivor now living in Texas. Stephen Mills of the Austin Ballet wrote the ballet after hearing her story. Initially hesitant try and communicate such raw, emotional material through dance, Mills committed to the project upon Warren's request.
"I have a great respect for the artists who would take on such a task because it is emotionally devastating. I'm asking them to delve into the single darkest period of the contemporary world and to know this deeply and then to do something with it. That's a very brave act," Mills said.
The purpose of the production is to promote the protection of human rights and hate with art, public dialog, and the spread of information, which is why it is scheduled to show just one week before the national celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and work.
"We are honored to bring Light to Denver audiences," Boggs said. "This is a work that touches the soul."
Light is the final production of the Colorado Ballet's 2012-13 season and part of The Holocaust and Humanity Project. It runs Mar. 29 at 7:30 p.m., 30 at 2 p.m. And 7:30 p.m., and 31 at 2 p.m. To purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoBallet.org or call 303-837-8888 ext. 2. Students receive a 20% discount.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
- Congress Should Make It Easier for Taxpayers Who Still...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT