Colorado Ballet tells the story of a holocaust survivor
UNC senior guard Will Figures, the team’s leading scorer with 15.9 points per game, dribbles around a defender in the Bears’ 78-66 win over Idaho State earlier this season. File Photo/The Mirror
"The production is a powerful and emotional experience showcasing the triumph of the human spirit," said Colorado Ballet Artistic Director Gil Boggs of Light a contemporary ballet that relives the intense, personal story of a Holocaust survivor.
The story is inspired by Naomi Warren, a holocaust survivor now living in Texas. Stephen Mills of the Austin Ballet wrote the ballet after hearing her story. Initially hesitant try and communicate such raw, emotional material through dance, Mills committed to the project upon Warren's request.
"I have a great respect for the artists who would take on such a task because it is emotionally devastating. I'm asking them to delve into the single darkest period of the contemporary world and to know this deeply and then to do something with it. That's a very brave act," Mills said.
The purpose of the production is to promote the protection of human rights and hate with art, public dialog, and the spread of information, which is why it is scheduled to show just one week before the national celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and work.
"We are honored to bring Light to Denver audiences," Boggs said. "This is a work that touches the soul."
Light is the final production of the Colorado Ballet's 2012-13 season and part of The Holocaust and Humanity Project. It runs Mar. 29 at 7:30 p.m., 30 at 2 p.m. And 7:30 p.m., and 31 at 2 p.m. To purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoBallet.org or call 303-837-8888 ext. 2. Students receive a 20% discount.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Why I'm afraid for the upcoming presidential election
- Jeff Linder brought on as UNC Men's Basketball Head Coach
- Annual PVA picnic celebrates arts
- Can men be feminists?
- News Briefs for the week of 5/2/2016
- UNC’s Coach Collins headlines ninth annual Colorado Coaches for Charity
- Future explorers start at museum
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Get Involved in Preventing Mosquitoes
- Preparing 21st Century Enterprises for Success in the...
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- How Brand Marketers Drive Lift in Loyalty, Reach
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board
- LendEDU 2016 College Students and Personal Finance Study
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016