Colorado Ballet tells the story of a holocaust survivor
UNC senior guard Will Figures, the team’s leading scorer with 15.9 points per game, dribbles around a defender in the Bears’ 78-66 win over Idaho State earlier this season. File Photo/The Mirror
"The production is a powerful and emotional experience showcasing the triumph of the human spirit," said Colorado Ballet Artistic Director Gil Boggs of Light a contemporary ballet that relives the intense, personal story of a Holocaust survivor.
The story is inspired by Naomi Warren, a holocaust survivor now living in Texas. Stephen Mills of the Austin Ballet wrote the ballet after hearing her story. Initially hesitant try and communicate such raw, emotional material through dance, Mills committed to the project upon Warren's request.
"I have a great respect for the artists who would take on such a task because it is emotionally devastating. I'm asking them to delve into the single darkest period of the contemporary world and to know this deeply and then to do something with it. That's a very brave act," Mills said.
The purpose of the production is to promote the protection of human rights and hate with art, public dialog, and the spread of information, which is why it is scheduled to show just one week before the national celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and work.
"We are honored to bring Light to Denver audiences," Boggs said. "This is a work that touches the soul."
Light is the final production of the Colorado Ballet's 2012-13 season and part of The Holocaust and Humanity Project. It runs Mar. 29 at 7:30 p.m., 30 at 2 p.m. And 7:30 p.m., and 31 at 2 p.m. To purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoBallet.org or call 303-837-8888 ext. 2. Students receive a 20% discount.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Four UNC football players make all-conference teams
- Women's Basketball wins two over Thanksgiving weekend
- News Briefs for the week of 11/30/15
- Funfetti popcorn treat for ‘dead week’
- Does University of Northern Colorado's Ursa provide too much info?
- Men's Basketball falls to Nebraska-Omaha
- Between a Brock and a Hard Place
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Oleg Frish's Dream Comes True With New Duets Album
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Knowledge Gaps in Vaccination Against Meningococcal Disease
- Five Easy Steps to Own Holiday Shopping on a Budget
- CSUN Secular Student Alliance holds their first meeting
- Application Deadline Near for $100,000 Excellence in Innovation Award
- Voto Latino to Host Event on Climate Change Challenges & Opportunities