Colorado Ballet tells the story of a holocaust survivor
UNC senior guard Will Figures, the team’s leading scorer with 15.9 points per game, dribbles around a defender in the Bears’ 78-66 win over Idaho State earlier this season. File Photo/The Mirror
"The production is a powerful and emotional experience showcasing the triumph of the human spirit," said Colorado Ballet Artistic Director Gil Boggs of Light a contemporary ballet that relives the intense, personal story of a Holocaust survivor.
The story is inspired by Naomi Warren, a holocaust survivor now living in Texas. Stephen Mills of the Austin Ballet wrote the ballet after hearing her story. Initially hesitant try and communicate such raw, emotional material through dance, Mills committed to the project upon Warren's request.
"I have a great respect for the artists who would take on such a task because it is emotionally devastating. I'm asking them to delve into the single darkest period of the contemporary world and to know this deeply and then to do something with it. That's a very brave act," Mills said.
The purpose of the production is to promote the protection of human rights and hate with art, public dialog, and the spread of information, which is why it is scheduled to show just one week before the national celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and work.
"We are honored to bring Light to Denver audiences," Boggs said. "This is a work that touches the soul."
Light is the final production of the Colorado Ballet's 2012-13 season and part of The Holocaust and Humanity Project. It runs Mar. 29 at 7:30 p.m., 30 at 2 p.m. And 7:30 p.m., and 31 at 2 p.m. To purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoBallet.org or call 303-837-8888 ext. 2. Students receive a 20% discount.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities