Colorado Ballet tells the story of a holocaust survivor
UNC senior guard Will Figures, the team’s leading scorer with 15.9 points per game, dribbles around a defender in the Bears’ 78-66 win over Idaho State earlier this season. File Photo/The Mirror
"The production is a powerful and emotional experience showcasing the triumph of the human spirit," said Colorado Ballet Artistic Director Gil Boggs of Light a contemporary ballet that relives the intense, personal story of a Holocaust survivor.
The story is inspired by Naomi Warren, a holocaust survivor now living in Texas. Stephen Mills of the Austin Ballet wrote the ballet after hearing her story. Initially hesitant try and communicate such raw, emotional material through dance, Mills committed to the project upon Warren's request.
"I have a great respect for the artists who would take on such a task because it is emotionally devastating. I'm asking them to delve into the single darkest period of the contemporary world and to know this deeply and then to do something with it. That's a very brave act," Mills said.
The purpose of the production is to promote the protection of human rights and hate with art, public dialog, and the spread of information, which is why it is scheduled to show just one week before the national celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and work.
"We are honored to bring Light to Denver audiences," Boggs said. "This is a work that touches the soul."
Light is the final production of the Colorado Ballet's 2012-13 season and part of The Holocaust and Humanity Project. It runs Mar. 29 at 7:30 p.m., 30 at 2 p.m. And 7:30 p.m., and 31 at 2 p.m. To purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoBallet.org or call 303-837-8888 ext. 2. Students receive a 20% discount.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Women's Soccer needs OT to push past Pittsburgh
- Women's Volleyball sweeps Alumni
- Women's soccer splits opening games of Colorado Cup
- Bears battle for starting position
- Highest paying majors at the University of Northern Colorado
- University of Northern Colorado selects architects for new signature building
- Bear Welcome: Jumping into the new semester
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Five Tips for Making Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home
- Tinder Reveals Top 50 U.S. College Campuses with Most Popular Men and Women
- Little Known Tips to Pay Less at College Bookstores
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE