Campus-adjacent bike shops available for students' benefit
Cycling merchants promote alternative to driving to class, spending money on parking passes
Alicia Lentz. Courtesy of Alicia Lentz’s Facebook page
On most days, the bike racks next to Ross Hall are occupied. Cycling, or riding a bike, is definitely a way to get around the UNC campus. Although a lot of students walk, many students ride their bikes year-round.
There are many shops around Greeley that sell bikes and/or focus on bike repair. Some of the stores are George's Repair Shop, International Bike, Bike Peddler Bike Products,
The Roubaix Bicycle Co., Bike Peddler Cycling & Fitness, The Sports Authority and Lil Baller Bikes & Trike.
The closest bike shop to UNC is The Roubaix Bicycle Co, 911 16th St., across from the University of Northern Colorado Skinner Music Library.
Steve Opp, the owner of Roubaix, said even though the store is close to campus, there are not as many student customers at Roubaix as he would like. The company business does not have a student discount at this time, but offers discounts on the Roubaix Web site.
Another bike shop in Greeley is Bike Peddler Cycling and Fitness located at 5240 Ninth St.
Jesse Port, the manager at Bike Peddler and a UNC alumnus, said there is not a student discount right now, but the store will hopefully set one up.
Port said he personally knows the UNC campus and biking around Greeley well. He also said he thinks Greeley is a really accessible biking community even though there is not a huge cycling culture here.
"Especially with the price of parking, I've always thought that biking on campus is really easy," Port said. "I have always wished there were more bike racks on campus."
The UNC Cycling Club offers training rides, criteria races and practice with riding in a group of cyclists. The club practices year-round and moves to the Campus Recreation Center in the winter.
Alex Lewis, a senior accounting major and the UNC Cycling Club president, said he has to ride a lot for training, so he tries to mix it up a little and walk or drive to and from class.
"That is kind of the ironic thing," Lewis said. "I don't ride my bike on campus very often."
Lewis said he thinks of Roubaix as sort of the cycling club's sponsor. He said that Opp is great and that he helps a lot and tries to work with the club for pricing.
"It really is imperative for us to have a shop so close to campus," Lewis said.
As for the benefits of biking compared to driving, Lewis said the experience is crucial with bike-riding.
"I enjoy training and cycling because you can get outside and see stuff," Lewis said.
For more information about cycling, visit unccycling.org/default.aspx, www.bikepeddlergreeley.com/home.html and theroubaixbicyclecompany.com/
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- How not to financially fail during summer break
- How acceptance can end a cycle of prejudice
- Colorado overdue for a sports championship victory
- How to climb a Colorado mountain
- UNC Adds Brewing Lab Science Program
- Kamie Ethridge named court coach for USA Basketball
- University of Northern Colorado lifts suspension on Mexican American Studies...
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS