Annual food drive returns to campus
Cans to Candelaria was established at UNC by journalism professor Lee Anne Peck and 14 journalism students to create a campus-wide food drive for the Weld Food Bank. The project was a part of the students' capstone public relations course in the spring of 2006. This plan was later executed in fall 2006 and has remained an annual event with different messages each year.
"Even though most people are facing economic hardship this year, we still managed to successfully plan another year of Cans to Candelaria," said Haley McLeod, a senior communication and journalism major and a member of the Student Public Relations Network. "It was hard to get donations and sponsors this year. But despite the economy, our sponsors still managed to donate as much as they could, and we are very grateful."
McLeod said Cans to Candelaria helps provide food for the hungry not only in Greeley, but all of Weld County. She also said she felt good knowing that she can be a part of something huge.
Jessica Azzolina, a senior communication and journalism major, said being a part of the planning committee made her more involved not only on campus, but in the community, as well.
"The main collections this year are canned foods and cash – any amount helps," Azzolina said. "I think instead of wasting food, we should give any uneaten canned foods away since they will feed the hungry."
Peck said any students, clubs, organizations or residence halls interested in participating in the competition should register by Friday. The competitors will be competing for the highest number of cans and the highest amount of cash donations collected throughout the entire food drive.
"The drop-off day for cash and cans is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 8 in the parking lot west of Candelaria Hall," Peck said. "For those who wish to donate cash only, they can drop off their donations at the University Center the same day and time. Community members can drop off cans and cash at either campus locations or at Ghent Motor Co. or Weld County Garage same day and times."
Peck also said there will be an awards ceremony to announce the winners of this year's competition at 5 p.m. Oct. 8 on the east side of Candelaria Hall. Rick Cramer, the food procurement specialist of the Weld Food Bank, will also speak.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Bank of Colorado lands deal to sponsor Butler-Hancock Sports Paviliion naming...
- University of Northern Colorado Hosts annual Drag show
- Northern Colorado fraternity holds HIV awareness presentation
- Black Panther Party myths debunked through film series at the University of...
- A letter to President Norton
- University of Northern Colorado students participate in Bandwagon Magazine...
- Nothern Colorado Swimming and Diving beats Mines and Colorado Mesa
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge