Annual food drive returns to campus
Cans to Candelaria was established at UNC by journalism professor Lee Anne Peck and 14 journalism students to create a campus-wide food drive for the Weld Food Bank. The project was a part of the students' capstone public relations course in the spring of 2006. This plan was later executed in fall 2006 and has remained an annual event with different messages each year.
"Even though most people are facing economic hardship this year, we still managed to successfully plan another year of Cans to Candelaria," said Haley McLeod, a senior communication and journalism major and a member of the Student Public Relations Network. "It was hard to get donations and sponsors this year. But despite the economy, our sponsors still managed to donate as much as they could, and we are very grateful."
McLeod said Cans to Candelaria helps provide food for the hungry not only in Greeley, but all of Weld County. She also said she felt good knowing that she can be a part of something huge.
Jessica Azzolina, a senior communication and journalism major, said being a part of the planning committee made her more involved not only on campus, but in the community, as well.
"The main collections this year are canned foods and cash – any amount helps," Azzolina said. "I think instead of wasting food, we should give any uneaten canned foods away since they will feed the hungry."
Peck said any students, clubs, organizations or residence halls interested in participating in the competition should register by Friday. The competitors will be competing for the highest number of cans and the highest amount of cash donations collected throughout the entire food drive.
"The drop-off day for cash and cans is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 8 in the parking lot west of Candelaria Hall," Peck said. "For those who wish to donate cash only, they can drop off their donations at the University Center the same day and time. Community members can drop off cans and cash at either campus locations or at Ghent Motor Co. or Weld County Garage same day and times."
Peck also said there will be an awards ceremony to announce the winners of this year's competition at 5 p.m. Oct. 8 on the east side of Candelaria Hall. Rick Cramer, the food procurement specialist of the Weld Food Bank, will also speak.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- Four UNC football players make all-conference teams
- Women's Basketball wins two over Thanksgiving weekend
- Funfetti popcorn treat for ‘dead week’
- Does University of Northern Colorado's Ursa provide too much info?
- Men's Basketball falls to Nebraska-Omaha
- Between a Brock and a Hard Place
- Punishing refugees instead of the Islamic State
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind