Annual food drive returns to campus
Cans to Candelaria was established at UNC by journalism professor Lee Anne Peck and 14 journalism students to create a campus-wide food drive for the Weld Food Bank. The project was a part of the students' capstone public relations course in the spring of 2006. This plan was later executed in fall 2006 and has remained an annual event with different messages each year.
"Even though most people are facing economic hardship this year, we still managed to successfully plan another year of Cans to Candelaria," said Haley McLeod, a senior communication and journalism major and a member of the Student Public Relations Network. "It was hard to get donations and sponsors this year. But despite the economy, our sponsors still managed to donate as much as they could, and we are very grateful."
McLeod said Cans to Candelaria helps provide food for the hungry not only in Greeley, but all of Weld County. She also said she felt good knowing that she can be a part of something huge.
Jessica Azzolina, a senior communication and journalism major, said being a part of the planning committee made her more involved not only on campus, but in the community, as well.
"The main collections this year are canned foods and cash – any amount helps," Azzolina said. "I think instead of wasting food, we should give any uneaten canned foods away since they will feed the hungry."
Peck said any students, clubs, organizations or residence halls interested in participating in the competition should register by Friday. The competitors will be competing for the highest number of cans and the highest amount of cash donations collected throughout the entire food drive.
"The drop-off day for cash and cans is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 8 in the parking lot west of Candelaria Hall," Peck said. "For those who wish to donate cash only, they can drop off their donations at the University Center the same day and time. Community members can drop off cans and cash at either campus locations or at Ghent Motor Co. or Weld County Garage same day and times."
Peck also said there will be an awards ceremony to announce the winners of this year's competition at 5 p.m. Oct. 8 on the east side of Candelaria Hall. Rick Cramer, the food procurement specialist of the Weld Food Bank, will also speak.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More uncmirror News Articles
Recent uncmirror News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UNCMIRROR
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UNCMIRROR NEWS
- UNC Adds Brewing Lab Science Program
- Kamie Ethridge named court coach for USA Basketball
- University of Northern Colorado lifts suspension on Mexican American Studies...
- What I’ll miss (or won’t miss) at UNC is...
- Kevin Kantor: Finding power in poetry
- Education changes University of Northern Colorado graduate's view of the world
- New destinations await University of Northern Colorado Asian studies major
RECENT UNCMIRROR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
- Know Your Pipe Type And Catch Leaks Early
- Cancer Center Finds Smokeless Tobacco May Help You Quit
- Fighting Age-Related Muscle Loss
- A Quarter of Adults Dishonest With Dentists on How Often...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15